• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sump or externals?

Rich Jackson

I have a 3 x 2 x 2 tank that used to be a marine setup. I have a sump underneath to use but don't know whether to use it or block up the holes in the tank and run 2 external filters. any advice on which way and why please.

I didn't want to use Co2 injection as I was planning a lower tech tank. I have been planning this tank since May!!! talk about being slow! although I like to think I'm being thorough. is it possible to reduce Co2 loss enough with a sump to not need to inject it?

I didn't want to use Co2 injection as I was planning a lower tech tank. I have been planning this tank since May!!! talk about being slow! although I like to think I'm being thorough. is it possible to reduce Co2 loss enough with a sump to not need to inject it?

Off course, just make sure you don't use too much light!

Maybe someone else has a different opinion but IME it is just that simple! More light means more CO2. Less light, less CO2, but less choice in plant species, because some just need more CO2 than can naturally exist in your tank. You can always add a carbon source like excel/easycarbo to provide more carbon for your plants. This is not lost due to a sump.

ybagyqyb.jpg

Hi all,
I like sumps as well, the best filter definitely a "wet and dry", doesn't matter whether it is in the sump or over-tank.

If you don't add any CO2, "wet and dry" trickle filters add CO2 at most times, because they are very effective at gas exchange, due to their huge gas exchange surface where the thin film of water is flowing over the media surface. This is why marine aquarists went away from them, they were "nitrate factories", what that really means is they had the capacity for the nitrification (oxidation) of a huge amount of NH3. Because we have access to water for water changes and vascular plants that take up NO3, this isn't a disadvantage for us.

What applies to oxygen also applies to CO2, which is at about only 400ppm in the atmosphere, but is much more soluble than oxygen. If you aren't adding CO2, the larger your gas exchange surface is the more closely levels of dissolved gases will correlate with atmospheric levels, which is good for both your livestock and your plants.

cheers Darrel

Back