• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Controlling Contrast

Does he ever go outside?
All the time. Hes pretty skittish outside and doesnt like strangers so were not overly worried about him getting nicked. He does like getting in vehicles though I've had to get him out of the grocery delivery van a couple of times and he always sneeks onto my daughters school bus which all the kids love.

Why doesn't anyone mention metering? A DSLR comes out of the box configured to meter the entire picture and find a value to minimize over and under exposed parts in the scene.
Most of you guys run tanks with a LOT of light which makes for a big contrast between light and dark in the scene. One way of dealing with that is to switch to spot metering and meter on the sand in the tank. Anything light grey or brown will work,. Of course the result will be a cat that's massivly overexposed but you'd get proper exposure in the tank.

Why doesn't anyone mention metering? A DSLR comes out of the box configured to meter the entire picture and find a value to minimize over and under exposed parts in the scene. Most of you guys run tanks with a LOT of light which makes for a big contrast between light and dark in the scene. One way of dealing with that is to switch to spot metering and meter on the sand in the tank. Anything light grey or brown will work,. Of course the result will be a cat that's massivly overexposed but you'd get proper exposure in the tank.
I was trying to see if I could get the shot as a whole correctly exposed it seems the only way to do this is to create a composite of two images. I have no issues obtaining correct exposure for the tank I just need to kick the cat off first.

The Gimp can do most of what Photoshop can do, with the advantage of being FREE. GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Now downloaded :) May not get a chance for a proper play for a few days, will it use RAW image files?

Also do people use/recommend separate de-noise software?

Gimp should offer some raw support. If not there's raw therapee. For nikon the free view nx will at least do a decent conversion to tiff.

As noise reduction tool I've settled on Nik's Dfine. Tried a few others but I couldn't get my head around the interface or it did horrible detail smearing.

Gimp should offer some raw support. If not there's raw therapee. For nikon the free view nx will at least do a decent conversion to tiff. As noise reduction tool I've settled on Nik's Dfine. Tried a few others but I couldn't get my head around the interface or it did horrible detail smearing.
I'm using a cannon 1100d. Is Dfine freely available?

Back