• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My plants are dying! What to do?

Hi again mate. I was just thinking of all the electric mainly. thinking 4 fans would do the job with just 2 - 4 tubes maybe. You've got me thinking you get hikes in temperature if you need to cool it that much?:)

Hi Victor
Do you clean your Sand/Gravel?
If so how often?
Or do you just do water changes?
hoggie
Yes, I clean it every week. I use a thin hose to suck all reacheable detritos, dirt. But there are so much BGA that are dirtying the gravel all time and I can't remove all dirty completely.

Victor has another similar thread started elsewhere on the forum My light is correct? | UK Aquatic Plant Society
I have already pointed out he needed more Co2 to match the light & I now see Victor has changed the light but, still uses a PH controller!

Stop using the controller!!!:D naughty victor:D

Hi again mate. I was just thinking of all the electric mainly. thinking 4 fans would do the job with just 2 - 4 tubes maybe. You've got me thinking you get hikes in temperature if you need to cool it that much?:)

Hi :) . I have a sensor temperature linked to the fans that turn them off when the water temperature decreases to 24 °C and turn them on when it increases to 25° C. Here in Brazil is too hot in summer. The coolers are on almost all time.

Go on rub it in its 2.5 degrees here:D sorry didn't realize you needed fans due to climate too. Yes I'd go for 5 Hrs light and 2 tubes working up slowly victor.:)

Victor
Should be able to set the PH controller to switch off when it reaches 6.5.
If it moves above that setting it should switch back on again.
hoggie

Alright. I'll take off 4 light tubes and increase the CO2 level trying not use the ph computer. So, my thin quartz gravel isn't a problem, right? I really thank you so much by your feedback. You're helping me a lot :)

Victor
I would strip the tank down and restart again.
As I stated in my first post...clean everything and try and do a salvage job regarding plants.
I know its going to be a pain...but it will cause less stress in the long run.
Then do a new set-up as advised here.
hoggie

The point is PH controllers work by measuring the PH within a certain range .. ie the Co2 will come on when the PH probe is set to 6.5 & then the C02 stops when the PH reaches say, 6.4.
Unfortunately this leaves loads of times when there is no C02 going in & times when it is pouring in so you get PH fluctuations all the time or more importantly ... gas on gas off, gas on gas off all day long.
Many people have tried using PH controllers but very few get away with any benefits - only issues

Victor
I would strip the tank down and restart again.
As I stated in my first post...clean everything and try and do a salvage job regarding plants.
I know its going to be a pain...but it will cause less stress in the long run.
Then do a new set-up as advised here.
hoggie
I understand, hoggie. But there are some plants growing yet. If I tried to recovery the plants without take off them do you think I'll get? It's a possibility? Thank you.

The point is PH controllers work by measuring the PH within a certain range .. ie the Co2 will come on when the PH probe is set to 6.5 & then the C02 stops when the PH reaches say, 6.4.
Unfortunately this leaves loads of times when there is no C02 going in & times when it is pouring in so you get PH fluctuations all the time or more importantly ... gas on gas off, gas on gas off all day long.
Many people have tried using PH controllers but very few get away with any benefits - only issues
I'm thinking to keep the CO2 flowing all time. What do you think about, mate? Thank you

this thread needs Clive to put it to bed...

Sorry Victor a tad off track.
Foxfish
I have used a Dennerle PH controller...and never had any issues with its use.
The switch point of the Dennerle controller is PH 0.01 plus or minus.
Maybe its the Matrix at work as Clive would say.
hoggie

...you can get equilibrium co2 / ph by matching your injected gas in with gas off at surface, no need for ph controller other than this

Yes Hoggie, I have tried a couple of times, once on a new tank & once on a mature tank & I have also used one on a reef tank to dissolve calcium.
The first time on a new tank was a disaster but the controller was of poor quality so I splashed out on a new one & set it up on a nice one year old scape.
That worked ok for a few weeks but I could hear the solenoid clicking on & off all day long & when I used a PH pen it showed .5 ph. fluctuation - soon enought the plants stated to suffer with algae.
I would love them to work more efficiently so please tell me you know a model that wont switch the gas on & off all day ?
Oh and Clive is very anti PH controllers.

Back