• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Surface scum and co2

Dave Pierce

Hi,

Does anyone know if a combination of too much co2 and too little light can cause surface scum?

My reason for the question is because my understanding of the cause is down to too much light and too little co2. However after raising my light quite high and increasing my co2 by much more the surface scum has only got worse.

So I'm wondering whether too much carbon intake and not enough light is causing the plants to leech waste products and cause the scum on the surface?

Cheers
Dave

I think the surface scum/film is nothing more but organic matter. Increasing co2 will probably increase the growth of your plants, thus their waste products. In my case it helped to create a nice rippling on the water surface. It helped not only to break this film surface but also to increase the level of co2 without gassing the fish.

Jordi

Ok thanks for your replies all.

I was under the impression less agitation the better.

I have adjusted my outflows which are now causing a ripple on the surface. I will adjust the co2 as required by checking my drop checker this afternoon.

Hopefully I will see improvements. Thanks for your help I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Dave

Is it weird to think that already it seems as though the plants are responding well to the surface agitation? Pearling has increased loads today.

Let's hope the surface scum doesn't appear.

Is it weird to think that already it seems as though the plants are responding well to the surface agitation? Pearling has increased loads today.

Let's hope the surface scum doesn't appear.

Actually it just means that there is far more O2 dissolved in your water which means that when the plants photosynthesize they are producing O2 that cannot be dissolved into an O2 saturated water column, thus the gas stays in gaseous form and you see pearling. Generally O2 rich water is a good thing though!

Film has almost gone!

I have made to changes:

Increased the light by lowering it.

Increase surface agitation by raising the outlet to just below the surface of the water.

And my normal water changes.

I know I can't judge these things until a couple of weeks after the changes have been made. But so far so good!

Back