• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Paludarium/terrarium

Alastair

Ho folks
Whilst the big tank continues to grow in, im going to be doing a sideline project by setting up a relatively large paludarium/terrarium
I have trawled through the net looking at ideas and whats needed etc but just wondering if any fellow members have ones running themselves.
I may go down the road of adding dart frogs but for now itll just be various terrestrial plants and mosses grown up the sides and back with an automatic mister and possibly a nice gentle waterfall.

Be nice to see others set ups before I get a journal underway for mine :)

I very much like the sound of this. I've always wanted to do something similar, but never had the time, money, or space. Maybe one day...

What about electric blue geckos? Very active little things, though, you can only keep two per viv/tank. I would say crested geckos but, personally, i find them a little boring, as they do not do much. Just a thought.

I have one at the moment and it's doing really well, if I do say so myself.
It all started about 15 years ago when I was no longer satisfied with just the 130x50x50cm aquarium I had an ordered glass to make a 130x50x80 right on top of it, making it 1 big tank.

Of course things have changed dramatically since then. Now it's a high tech 60x60x90 paludarium almost fully automated with RO and high pressure sprays, rain, fog, humidity control and cloud simulations.
I'm already dreaming about the next one and what improvements I'll put to the test :D

I think one of THE most important aspects about a paludarium is humidity control and ventilation. In an aquarium you try to get optimal water conditions, in the paludarium you aim for optimal air conditions.
I'll look into some options to host some pictures tomorrow

I have one at the moment and it's doing really well, if I do say so myself.
It all started about 15 years ago when I was no longer satisfied with just the 130x50x50cm aquarium I had an ordered glass to make a 130x50x80 right on top of it, making it 1 big tank.

Of course things have changed dramatically since then. Now it's a high tech 60x60x90 paludarium almost fully automated with RO and high pressure sprays, rain, fog, humidity control and cloud simulations.
I'm already dreaming about the next one and what improvements I'll put to the test :D

I think one of THE most important aspects about a paludarium is humidity control and ventilation. In an aquarium you try to get optimal water conditions, in the paludarium you aim for optimal air conditions.
I'll look into some options to host some pictures tomorrow

Pictures Arne...we want to see pictures;)

Check this one... Write on your browser navigation bar this: clickerfou.free.fr/paludarium/island/diy-creation.html
Sorry for the ugly link but having problems to do it properly.
Alastair, If you love big tanks, this is for you...

Jordi

I also wondered why dartfrog keepers have not taken up the aquascaping aesthetics. There are some truly wonderful opportunities that we don't have under water. I once kept dartfrogs for a while and loved it except...the food. Raising fruitflies and springtails in my house was just not something I could live with longterm, but if I had a basement or some other place, I would have a vivarium without a doubt. Check this out, shows what can be done...

Thomas

amazing link jordi!

can't wait to see what you come up with Alistair. Whatever you do I bet you will want a bigger one in 6 months! lol. After all these amazing links I want one too..........

I think we need to sound out a few investors up here in the north west and open a ukaps shop. We can all mess around with these ideas 24/7 with the pretence of trying to make some cash :clap:

I also wondered why dartfrog keepers have not taken up the aquascaping aesthetics.

What do you mean by "aquascaping aesthetics" ?
I suppose you could make a "dry scape" iwagumi, but you have an enormous variety of plants to use that would make an iwagumi look like a plain old mossy rock, compared to a lush green jungle.

I think a paludarium, or vivarium, is more about natural random growth. Although I'm sure there are people who will plan things out perfectly, and with lots of experience that could work out really well!

Tadpoles in the bromeliads
Truckers, diggers, wings.
Mipnip.

Certainly have tom. That and reptileforum. The link you gave was one I was following through the whole journal. Other than the black and gold I love it. Bit hi tech for me though.
Im aiming to have a partial aquatic section for some of my paros with lots of leaf litter. Maybe stick 4 or 5 paros in and have a mixture of some aquascaping, moving up to full jungle. Dont want to put too much as ill have nothing to put in my journal.
Just need to get my head around all the available plants. Huge selection. Quite like the varying ferns. Hmmmmmmm :confused:
Its allowing me my love for emmersed plants and fish at the same time. I kind of miss my puddle so this is the best of both but in a proper terrarium.
Love paludariums, this is one of my favourites m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2hnbhsb2Ao
Look forward to following yours Al.

Thanks mate. Me too. Looking to get it up and running within a fortnight.
Check this one... Write on your browser navigation bar this: clickerfou.free.fr/paludarium/island/diy-creation.html
Sorry for the ugly link but having problems to do it properly.
Alastair, If you love big tanks, this is for you...

Jordi
Thanks jordi. Ive seen that. Its the same guy in the link tom showed. Although it looks amazing there. He did spend a hell of alot on it though and has some very fancy gear running.
amazing link jordi!

can't wait to see what you come up with Alistair. Whatever you do I bet you will want a bigger one in 6 months! lol. After all these amazing links I want one too..........

I think we need to sound out a few investors up here in the north west and open a ukaps shop. We can all mess around with these ideas 24/7 with the pretence of trying to make some cash :clap:
Ha ha yeah a ukaps shop would be fantastic. If only hey.
Im going as big as I possibly can do but wont be changing as I want to see its full growth stage. Ive seen so many online that take months but then suddenly sprout and become amazing to look at.

Looking forward to this Alastair. :)
Me too mate. Will start my journal this week.
Check the updated video:

That is simply one of the best.

Wow......speechless. I think thats probably the best paulo.

Really looking forward to this Al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:) cheers mate

Back