• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5's Old Hat

Doug

As a newbie, I just been into an LFS to look at different equipment etc., and spoke with the manager about T5's vs LED's.

He said that T5's are very old hat and strongly pushed LED's. He said LED's (6500K) were ideal for plant growth and T5's could no longer touch them.

I like the idea of low energy, high output LED's, but surely T5's have not had their day? Or have they?

Not at all!!!
T5s are a lot cheaper than leds and grow plants just fine, too many people use wayyy to much light anyway (some of the high power units need to be dimmed as much as 70%!). The only advantage as you've stated is power consumption and if you get a more expensive unit dimming control

Arcadia Plant Pro J5 tubes are definitely not "old hat". I suspect the manager has never used them. The colour temperature and wattage is perfect.

I still use T8s...perfect for low-energy scapes. I use arcadia bulbs and still prefer the colour rendition from any other lights I've used. So ok they aren't the most sophisticated and neither are they the most efficient...but it's not like using them is going to bankrupt me or drown the Dutch...

T5's are not quite done yet, but the inevitable fall of fluorescents has started and they are on there way out.

You're right it used to be relatively simple but it's become something of a minefield...The reviews on this forum are informative, for instance the Guisemann Futura that Iain used on Asian Dreams would suit my needs to a T, but I simply can't justify the expense...only being a very casual scaper an' all...but it's tempting nonetheless:cool:

Led's might be the way to go, except there are so much variables in quality and price. This market hasn't fleshed out by any means yet. There are a lot overpriced and/or poor quality units out there, the T5 market is way more clear. I do like LEDs and think in the future there will be good, affordable and well proven units, but at the moment T5's are a valid alternative. I would hate to light my 1500 liter with led's alone, any idea what that would cost?

1500ltr, do you get a tan infront of your tank Edvert.?:) I was using t5 up until I had a razor of sanj for the right money very pleased with the colour and growth. The razor is high above the tank the percentage is set that low the fan hasn't come on yet. It's So much cheaper to change a bulb than an intire unit mind. I've kept my t5 home made unit incase the led let us down.

Factor 50:D ^^^

Back