• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help! My CRS are acting really odd/ dying?!?!?

Things are looking bleak, especially for the little ones. Did another 90% WC, don't know what else could do, another WC seems pointless at this moment.
10417491_10152201529596024_6763234141919074600_n.jpg

10432968_10152201529536024_4989574853227086163_n.jpg

10408890_10152201529556024_5157629101505988463_n.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1405616744][/DOUBLEPOST]The only thing I can think of, is that I must have had something on my hands, The scissors are exclusively used for my aquariums, so those can be ruled out. The only thing I did before trimming, was washing my hands in the sink with some detergent, eat some lettuce, fed the dog, with some handwashing in between. This is really bugging me. :(

Last edited:
That must be hugely frustrating. If it definitely isn't your water then you're down to real marginal stuff like pesticide on the lettuce or flea treatment on the dog, etc, none of which are going to be readily confirmable.

I was actually thinking something along the lines of the pesticide on the lettuce. If it was some external poisonous substance, it has been diluted as much as it can be with one 50% and two 90% WC. Will leave it as is for now, and see what the morrow brings.

Thanks for all the help guys!

It's probably best if you shut the aquarium lights off to reduce stress. When I see fish or inverts acting weirdly I'll close the lights, and add in an air stone+ Pump for oxygen followed up by a water change which you are doing.

I noticed exactly the same effects on my red cherry shrimps some months ago. Actually I lost some of them. I checked temperature, I did 2 WC... It was all very strange to me. Finally I knew that someone had sprayed the plants with pesticides the day before, quite close to the place where I have my buckets. So, a bit windy, some tiny amount of pesticides on your equipment and you got it. They are so small that very small amounts of pesticides are lethal. Fish for example didn't seem to be affected.

Jordi

Last edited:
Hey Jordi,

That's why I'm thinking it must have been something on my hands, maybe some washing up liquid, maybe pesticides from the lettuce I ate just before, maybe a trace amount of flee drops which I gave my dog 5 days ago, after petting him. That's all I can come up with, I don't use aerosols or pesticides, and I hardly ever wear aftershave or anything like that.
Will see what things look like in the morning, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Imidacloprid and Permethrine. Do those fall into the category you mentioned?

Just took a peek with a flashlight, and most are moving, still lethargic, but no obvious deaths so far. Some of them do look pale as they saw the devil in person, the red having gone an almost see-through greyish.

Imidacloprid and Permethrine. Do those fall into the category you mentioned?

Just took a peek with a flashlight, and most are moving, still lethargic, but no obvious deaths so far. Some of them do look pale as they saw the devil in person, the red having gone an almost see-through greyish.

Yes both of those are insect neurotoxins and would explain the shrimp response - permethrine causes nerves to repeatedly fire, hence the sudden erratic movements.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=598

Unfortunately I'm not sure how long those chemicals are likely to persist in an aquarium, but it gives you something to look for anyway. I'd be very careful in the future about washing your hands before doing tank maintenance if you've been handling your dog. I guess it could be a red herring, but this seems the most likely explanation to me now.

Hi all,
maybe a trace amount of flee drops which I gave my dog 5 days ago, after petting him
I'm sure "BigTom" is right, and that is almost certainly the answer.

Pyrethroids are highly toxic but tend to have a sudden effect and not persist.

Have a look at this post, it covers Imidacloprid, but you probably won't like the content.

Unfortunately neonicotinoids (like Imidacloprid) are a different story.
<http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/wipe-out.19481/page-5#post-202007>.

cheers Darrel

Back