• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How dangerous is placing your open topped tank beside the fireplace?

What kind of fire is it? Like a wood burner? I'd be more concerned about evaporation.

Presumably you have a chimney, and therefore fumes will be of little concern. As above, evaporation and variations in temperature are likely to be the only problems you encounter. If your fish are tolerant of higher temperatures, you could gradually turn up the thermostat on the heater until it reaches a temperature near to what it will reach when the fire is raging next to it, thus negating the effects of ambient temperature upon the tank.

Our house reaches higher temperatures in the summer than in the Winter having the fire on. It will not be of any concearn if you chimney is in good conditions and swept regularly. Always leave a door open in the room the fire is in also you should have a vent to allow fresh air into your room that the fire is in. I wouldn't worry about your tank, we have a 20 kw stove in the room our tanks in:) cheers. Your burning turf? Is that peat?

As above.
I've got an open topped tank in the alcove next to the fire place.
Not had any problems last winter.
No fatalities,no surface scum,no dramatic temperature change.
Don't forget your carbon monoxide meter;)

Back