• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new setup, from #2 to... just plants

parotet

Hi all

Two weeks ago I decided to rescape my 65 liters tank (Journal called #2), my first carbon enriched planted tank. It went from this:

12904823443_380f179d0e_b.jpg

To this:

14187291985_cff86d88cc_b.jpg

14187288144_26db5517b7_b.jpg

Nothing brilliant in terms of aquascaping, but my aim during this last year has been to be able to achieve healthy growing and to understand some basic issues. As a newbie, the two big pieces of redmoor in tank #2 have been a pain to control flow and thus homogeneous CO2 distribution. In this new project I have decided to get rid of them: just plants, no excuses now for good flow and CO2 distribution... This time I really want to concentrate on plants growth, probably trying more difficult plants and other important aspects for future setups such as achieving bushy plants, learning about composition, colours, etc.

The tanks specs are exactly the same as in Journal #2:

Tank: optiwhite 60x30x35
DIY cabinet, lamp stand and suspension kit
Light: Odyssea T5 2x24w, one tube 6,500 and the other one 4,000K
Filter: Eheim 2215
No heater
CO2 cylinder: 8 kg
3-4 bps using online atomizer
Ferts: dry salts from TNC, liquid EI dosing
Substrate: Amazonia and plain river sand (substrate not removed from previous setup, in some places the sand is now covered by aquasoil).

The change from #2 to this new tank was done in several steps. Some plants were added to the background:

14863883157_9221c69375_b.jpg

15128089331_e31c7844b9_b.jpg

The foreground was kept like in the previous setup: a mixed carpet of Eleocharis acicularis and Staurogyne repens. The big change has been in the middle of the tank where lots of new plants were added:

15192504735_b6231b4559_b.jpg

Most of the plants are still adapting from emersed to submersed forms, but plants are doing really well during this last 10 days... growing really mad:

14981637849_6a7325e06a_b.jpg

And most of the tank inhabitants are still exploring their new home :)

15005925668_0448165dd0_b.jpg

I guess that in a few days I will make the first trimming and the tank will take quite a lot more to look beatuiful. But that's the new challenge, isn't it?

Cheers,
Jordi

How big is that?
60 cm high and 20 cm diameter, it is a CO2 pub cylinder, it should fit in most of the standard cabinets. The advantage for small tanks like this one is that you can forget about refills for quite a lot of months...

Jordi

Did you make the spraybar yourself or buy it? I'd like to try a spraybar in my tank, I also has black bg but I wonder is it possible to get black spraybar...

Did you make the spraybar yourself or buy it? I'd like to try a spraybar in my tank, I also has black bg but I wonder is it possible to get black spraybar...
It is a PVC DIY spraybar, for the moment the one that works best. I also have in mind to make a black one. I've seen clear acrylic, clear PVC, grey PVC but not sure if there is black PVC...

Jordi

Hi Alex

I came across some threads in American fish forums and learnt that people use frequently black paints for PVC tubing that is inside the tank. The most popular one is called Krylon Fusion that is said to be fish safe... Not sure what this product is (no idea about paints and chemical compositions, but I'm sure there are hundreds of similar products around us). It looks like a kind of coating paint... But no sure what happens to fish when the paint is degraded.
I asked yesterday in two specialized plastic shops and there is nothing in 12 mm diameter in black (well, of course there is but it is not sold by meters, you have to order large quantities). Black PVC pipes seems to be very common but in larger diameters. Once again it is not a common product.

My son has a toy broom which has a plastic handle that looks perfect :)

Jordi

Thanks Jordi. I don't try to experiment with paint for now, but I found quite cheap manufactured black plastic spraybar from Aquael (can't find that product on their site though) and already ordered it. My DIY skill is below average, so I'll try to get that aquael thing soon and test it.

Hi all

I have noticed these last two days something a bit weird... I purchased a Ammania bonsai from my LFS (Tropica 1-2-grow) and I planted it one week ago. The plant is doing very well, nice and healthy growing, but every morning I found 1 or 2 stems floating. It looks like the base of some stems are melting, even if the stem itself keeps growing anyway. I just replant them and they seem to do well for the moment.
Any suggestion? For the first time I did what was written in the pots and cut the gel piece in 6. I mean, I did not plant each stem, but groups of them.

Jordi

Jordi, I had similar experience with Ammania bonsai. I think in my case the pot has waited too long on a shelf in the shop, so the bottoms of all stems had died. So after 2 weeks of initial planting I uprooted all stems, cut the base and plant again only tops. After that everything was fine.
Also in my case I saw that stems started to grow new roots from the point just above the dead part of stem, see:
9597174063_e5a6d085bf.jpg100_5444 by bialix1, on Flickr

Yep, both things mentioned are possible. On the one hand, I purchased this plant in early September so I guess that it was probably kept the whole summer in the shop, and here it is very hot. On the other hand, as mentioned, it is the first time I just cut the plant in 6 pieces as indicated, but this way it is more difficult to wash the gel, even if I did it I might left some.
Thanks guys, for the moment it seems that replanted stems are doing well.

Jordi

Hi Jordi, I've installed spraybar (black, by Aquael) in pet shop tank and very pleased by its effect. Thank you for that idea (in your thread). But now I should re-think CO2 injection method. Spraybar and glass diffusor are not very good working together (not enough flow from spraybar). I'm interested to know your CO2 injection method. Are you using in-line diffuser/reactor? If so, which model is it?

Your last tank was great looking forward to seeing this develop and nice idea about taking all hard scape out to just concentrate on the plants , I like the thought of that

Hi Jordi, I've installed spraybar (black, by Aquael) in pet shop tank and very pleased by its effect. Thank you for that idea (in your thread). But now I should re-think CO2 injection method. Spraybar and glass diffusor are not very good working together (not enough flow from spraybar). I'm interested to know your CO2 injection method. Are you using in-line diffuser/reactor? If so, which model is it?
Hi Alexander

Was the spraybar drilled or did you have to drill it?
Yes, when I change from lily pipes to spraybar I had to change my co2 diffusion method and I purchased this inline reactor from CO2Art
http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...-inline-atomizer-diffuser-system-12-16mm-hose
On the one hand I am very happy as the diffusion method is excellent and no co2 is wasted. The disadvantage in these diffusion methods is that the tank is misty lots of hour a day... But personally I don't mind. Another aspect which can be improved in this model is that the tube threads have nothing to do with for example the Eheim ones, any little side pressure, tube deformed for being old, etc. will result in leaks. Nothing really serious, not very frequent, but each time you clean the tubes and you set them up again you have to check very well that it is not happening. Nevertheless I haven't heard better reports from UP atomizer, also sold by CO2 Art, it seems that the plastic quality is not brilliant.
In general terms I would recommend an inline atomizer for its effectiveness.

Jordi

Back