• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting suggestions for a Juwel 60l tank

kellyboy47

Hi,

I have one of these tanks which has its own hood and comes with a 15w T8 lamp both of which I do not use.
I am trying to grow live plants with CO2 injection and dry ferts but have not had much success even with the UP LED clip on light I'm using.

I need to have an open top tank because the pipework from my JBL1501 filter does not fit in the cutout of the hood.

Can anyone recommend a decent quality LED setup for an open tank but preferably not a system that needs to be suspended from the ceiling as this is not practicable

Many thanks
Trev

Could you not use a Dremel to make the entry holes in the hood bigger?

Also how do you get CO2 into the tank? How much are you putting in?

Well I could if I had one lol...perhaps I'll ask at work if they might have one I could borrow...why do you think I would be better off using the tank with the hood ?

I normally pump CO2 in via a fire extinguisher but its run out...normally 2 bps

A 15w T8 is fine for growing all but the most demanding of plants, might be slower but it is fine. What plants are you trying to grow? How are you monitoring the CO2 via a drop checker or ph pen?

As Ross says I took a demel to the flaps but you can take a chunk out of the back of the brace which is what I wish I had done, might be difficult with stock already in the tank.

I used a saw to cut my hood for pipework. The aquabar is a good led that could either be fitted into your hood or sat on brackets via mms rail. I retro fitted one to a marina 95 and it is in the lighting forum if you want to see what it looks like. This would be more than enough light for that tank(i have 2 of the juwel 54l) and you might be wise to buy the dimmer which is a very affordable £13.99 Aquabars come in white or colour plus.

My thinking was that the light is ok, as what EnderUK says, apart from the most demanding plants. So rather than spending money on a new light just adjust the hood to get the filter pipes through.

Thanks for your suggestions guys...I've attached a pic of an idea I had to overcome the problem....its a piece of acrylic cut to exact shape with cut-outs for pipework, heater and feeding.

I was hoping to buy some form of LED lighting to screw to the underside of the acrylic...any thoughts ?

Thanks for your suggestions guys...I've attached a pic of an idea I had to overcome the problem....its a piece of acrylic cut to exact shape with cut-outs for pipework, heater and feeding.
I was hoping to buy some form of LED lighting to screw to the underside of the acrylic...any thoughts ?

P1020116_zpsa0e70ec3.jpg

No they both come with brackets to screw to the hood/cover
Some pics of the mini tile in this thread
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/tmc-aquaray-led-400-tile-and-controller.34564/
My tile mounted
2E7B5221-176A-4074-8705-A5805B093110_zpsblhdyz4c.jpg

And a link to lindys aquabar mounting pics
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/retro-fitting-marina-95-hood-with-tmc-aquabar-500.34337/

Back