• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

... and back to low tech

Hi Faizal

thanks for your interest... nothing really exciting happened since the last update, I thinned a little bit all this mess:

16345676436_e25481635c_b.jpg

and now I will have to wait several weeks to have again a densely planted tank. meanwhile Java fern and Bolbitis attached to the driftwood, as well as some Cryptocoryne are progressively creating a new layout.

15751658303_8421de543e_b.jpg

Nevertheless I am seriously considering to try another low tech layout in a few months (nothing planned yet but you know, I begin to think about it), but I have serious problems to tore down my tanks :rolleyes:. This is due to different reasons: there is an exciting part part (new plants, new layout, etc.), but there is an annoying one (what to do with critters for some weeks, the endless no one wants and especially the sparkling gouramis that ate all my red cherry shrimps in this tank. I don't want to imagine them in my high tech which would be their temporary home and for them a kind of seafood feast!) but I also have a personal problem... I have a kind of Diogenes Syndrome with my aquatic plants! I add more and more to my collection but I don't want to get rid of them. That's why I just re-scape my tanks... However this time I won't just change the plants and/or hardscape because I want to change the substrate.

Jordi

Only one thing for it jordi, another tank :lol:
I've been seriously thinking (tonight) that this one could be easily transformed into a vivarium for moss and miniature orchids :cool: and that I could buy another little tank (something like 40x25x27 cm which would be close to the volume I have, thus no need to upgrade light or filter, but with a more pleasant shape for aquascapes IMO).
Miss says it's ok ONCE we'd have done some works in the living room and kitchen :banghead:

Jordi

I have a kind of Diogenes Syndrome with my aquatic plants! I add more and more to my collection but I don't want to get rid of them.

It sounds very familiar for me. I think many planted tank enthusiasts say the same. Sometimes it's sad and blocks major re-scaping attempts. As I read - the real aquascaper should not be obsessed with plants collecting. I don't know the real cure for this desease.

It sounds very familiar for me. I think many planted tank enthusiasts say the same. Sometimes it's sad and blocks major re-scaping attempts. As I read - the real aquascaper should not be obsessed with plants collecting. I don't know the real cure for this desease.

MORE aquariums! ;)

I don't know the real cure for this desease.
I will practice, promised! I will trim, I will keep calm, I will take a deep breath and... I will throw the cuttings to the dustbin!
Oh, my... not sure if I will be able to do it or I will end up crowding another tank or making more WK! :)

(forgot to mention that I have also a large propagator in the terrace and several moss/emersed setups on the windowsill) :dead:

Hey Jordi, did you tear this one down in the end, or keep it going?

It really is a lovely tank.

Hi Jordi,

Beautiful low tech. Just couple of questions.
Are you using the filter on a maximum performance?
How's your outflow arranged, since the duckweed seems to float pretty calmly?
Hi Jake

Yes, the JBL e401 was running at full power and it is still running at full power in my smaller new tank replacing this one. It is perfect.
The outflow was the standard round pipe outflow coming with the filter and it was pointing diagonally from one of the back corners to one of the front corners, about 1 cm below the water level. I could use Lemna with no problem but Limnobium was a disaster as the surface flow was too high for maintaining this beautiful cover without making a mess

Jordi

Hi Jordi

this is a no co2 tank correct? No pressurizes or liquid carbon?

Which plants did you find to grow well under these conditions?

Thanks

Hi Jaap

Yes, most of the time it was a non enriched tank (no pressurized CO2, no liquid carbon). During some months I used liquid carbon but I gave it up because I found no benefit in adding it. The most difficult part was to find the correct amount of light (or shade using floating plants) to get the balance I wanted: reasonable and steady growth (I like messing with plants) but keeping algae at bay. As you know this is not easy to explain.

Concerning the plants, I used a lot of them in this tank, most of them easy and even considered as "only for beginners" and underestimated by hobbyists: Limnophila sessiliflora is a winner. I know most people say it is a weed, a pain for its quick growth, too easy, etc. but to be honest it is a great plant for achieving a very high plant biomass very quickly and stabilize the tank conditions. Any of the easy Ludwigia and Hygrophila will work. Actually any of the plants you can find in the lower Tropica category will be fine.

A few tips: the more plant biomass the better, be patient (more than me) and let the plants grow and create their own little jungle... messing the substrate and hard trimming doesn't fit with low tech IMO. Manicured layouts are also very difficult in low tech, at least for me. Keep a low fish biomass but drop as many cheap shrimps (and snails) as you can, they will reproduce like pests but they will be very helpful. Rely on an enriched substrate and forget about ferts unless you find problems. "Low tech EI dosing" did not worked for me, apparently it was still too much, much more than needed for my plants. In a low tech you have time enough to react if you see any "deficiency problem", so this was my approach.

Good luck!

Jordi

Back