• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mirkwood

Ivan Lugovic

Hello guys!

Let me introduce my latest aquascape, made for HAS Contest 2015.

90x45x45 cm (182L)
JBL CristalProfi e1500
Glass inflow/outflow
Hydor inline heater 200W
DIY LED 8000K 140W
Tropica Plant Growth Substrate (5 L) and 50kg quartz sand
Seyru stones (35 kg) and locally colected wood

All plants kindly sponsored by Hortilab.

Main idea for this scape comes from the LOTR series.
Mistical na frightening elf forrest – Mirkwood.

I've based whole idea on this picture:

mirkwood_01.jpg

Hardscape setup:

mrkodol_1dan.jpg

Planting:

mrkodol_zasadjen.jpg

After 45 days:

16325147668_38807702e2_b.jpg

90 days:

img_20150311_203915_20150311204528481_20150313140848146.jpg

And final photo for HAS Contest 2015 (120 days old):

16993027475_059ec05cac_h.jpgMirkwood HAS Final by Ivan Lugovic, on Flickr

This aquascape is now in the state of fine tunning for IAPLC.

It lacks lots of details what have to be done.
More light on left and right front ends, some fine tuch with usage of eleocharis mini, more downfalling moss branches, radial positioned roots etc…but I'm on it.

Hope you like it, cheers! ;)

Last edited:
You know when you see something and you just go wow, well this is it for me! This is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys!

Would you like to post some close ups? And what kind of wood did you collect? From what kind of trees?

I will post some close ups in week or so because this scape has gone trough some intensive trimming.
Wood is mainly Juniperus oxycedrus , type of dwarf cedar what grows in Dalmatia (coastal part of Croatia), and some pieces of Hedera Helix .
In my opinion it doesen't matter what type of wood is used as long as you do regular water changes.
I am doing 50% change weekly...

At first I saw your work at flickr and didn't get the meaning of the title. Now I've googled more about it. Wow.
I like your scape, very much.
Though it's not as grim as your inspirational picture. Your scape is inviting to explore it :) not to avoid it. Don't take it as criticism or bad thing.
Maybe you can try to take new photos with more back lighting and less top lighting.
Anyway, very good scape! Thank you for sharing details and your vision.

Thank you Alexander!
I fully agree with you, and I'm one step ahead - there is some really cool stuf prepairing for the final photo.
One of those are light spots and submergable lights, but I musn't go any further with this as the IAPLC rules are clear. ;)

I'm also in dilema about right kind of inhabitans. Black Molly are great and unusual but hardly a schooling fish...i need them dark but also noticable and unusual.
Any sugestions?

I'm not sure about fish, but for such a big tank you have, two obvious names of "black" fish come to the mind: black phantom tetra, and black neons. It's hard to tell for sure whether any of them whould be quite noticiable or not in your scape. Small black angels may play good as well. Even in small size they should be noticeable, I guess. Take my thoughts with a good amount of scepticism though.

Not black but I think these would look very interesting in this (extraordinary!) tank
Vienna Swordtail Grey Guppy
Black Guppy

If angels, look for "double dark" strain

Purple harlequins can appear very dark in a planted tank (they can "darken" from tail to gills) - sorry can't find any good representative pictures ...

Black emperor tetra

Thank you guys!
I am considering some of those fishes, will let you know what I have decided. ;)

There is also another option, to keep Black Molly and add Pseudomugil gertruda to get more coulor and character....

Back