• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi from Lowestoft

Paul Kettless

Hi,

Thought I would pop in and say hello, I found this site through BIDKA, as I am venturing into the journey of keeping Discus, I have loved this fish since a little boy, so quite a long while now lol, and never had the opportunity or the guts too attempt to keep them. I registered but have been reading the search results for what seems like an eternity, so this is my very first post.

After lots of research I just cannot bring myself to keep them in a bare bottom tank, for me it is not just about the fish, but a beautiful surrounding. So I have decided that it will be a planted tank, community aquarium, but obviously my discus will end up being the star attraction.

I have kept tropicals for many years, also a reef and FOWLR for seven years, but I have to be honest and say that my knowledge and experiences of keeping plants are limited. Although I have been reading many, many articles, some of the information is confusing and conflicting, I obviously realise that there are several ways too skin a cat, but reassurance from more experienced people is always good, and my reason for finding you good people.

Im sure that I will have many questions for you guys, and if I can find where to put it I will do a build thread. Substrates, lighting, and C02 are my sticking points at the minute, especially the substrate, as various strains of discus are subject to peppering if the substrate is too dark, so I will be looking for something that is a happy medium!

Thanks for reading
Paul

Welcome@Ukaps!

Peppering due to dark substrate?? Never heard of that. As far as i know their natural habitat is dark and murky most of the time. Care to elaborate?

DIscus and planted tanks are possible, but i would advise to go low tech (dimmed light and no CO2) at start. Just start with the tank and plants and if it is to your liking add the discus.

Welcome, I agree with Ed on that too...I'm sure you've already checked it out, but just in case the Tutorials section should be a good place to find the info you need to get started low-tech.

Welcome!

On the subject of peppering, I was told it can be resolved by using brighter lights. Not sure if it's true as I don't keep them myself, but it might be a useful keyword in your searches.

And get a journal up when you start setting the tank up! :)

f1d879285705fe813b173c5a36474557.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I found my discus didn't like co2 at 30ppm because of higher temp they need to be kept at. light substrates helps to reduce peppering in pigeon blood strain. also some plants don't do well with the temp

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back