• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Wabi garden" - Wabi Kusa project

bigmatt said:
Mine's going great guns! found a few sizeable pieces of moss with plants already growing in them, and transferred them to vases with old tank water in the bottom. I'll upload pics when i get a chance. Just as an aside (and a slight thread hijack - sorry Antoni!) is there a good single source for emersed or Wabi projects? I've had a flick through the emersed section and can't really find anything (but i may have missed it!)
Cheers folks,
Matt

HI Matt,

no probs at all :)

I cant wait to see your Wabi project!

I have been looking for a nice source for Wabi, but couldn't find anything :( There are some information on the official website: http://www.wabikusa.jp/index.html and I also particularly like the thread of Steven Chong on APC: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/34685-style-wabi-kusa.html, but apart of those the information is really scantily.
dw1305 said:
Hi all,
Has the moss arrived Matt? I posted Friday morning 1st class, so if it hasn't arrived? I'll need to chase it up with the PO.
It would be great to identify that stunning plant..
Cymbalaria muralis (Ivy Leaved Toadflax).

Cheers Darrel

That's spot on Darrel! Thank you!

The Kenilworth Ivy has really interesting way of propagation, I thought it might be interesting to you folks :geek: :

This little flower is very commonly found growing on old walls and bare, waste ground. Its little lilac coloured flowers (8-15 mm across) have two lips, the upper is divided in two and the lower has three lobes with a pale yellow spot to guide in the nectar-seeking bees. Behind the lower lip is a small spur. The flowers are solitary on long, slender, sometimes reddish, stalks at the base of the leaves and bloom from May to September. These leaves are ivy-shaped and, like the rest of the plant, hairless. The seed-planting mechanism of this plant is very clever indeed. The flowers turn their heads to the sun until they have been fertilised at which stage they turn about towards the wall on which they are growing and in this way they plant or push the seeds into any little crevice possible on the wall. They also have very long roots which help them to hang on, like the Ivy for which they are named, and thereby ensure their survival. This plant was introduced in the seventeenth century from the Mediterranean countries. It belongs to the family Scrophulariaceae.
taken from www.wildflowersofireland.net

Antoni Dimitrov said:
...a round shallow tray with a small island in it and maybe couple of killies. I'm just a bit unsure about the killies in such a small volume of water: 1-1.5 l of water?

Most killies are fine in small bodies of water, as they live in puddles in nature.
However they also jump (to find a nicer puddle), so a tight fitting lid is needed.
Which is probably not in keeping with what you intended.

I've kept dwarf shrimp in 1.5l of water. They do not breed, but stay alive.

a1Matt said:
Most killies are fine in small bodies of water, as they live in puddles in nature.
However they also jump (to find a nicer puddle), so a tight fitting lid is needed.
Which is probably not in keeping with what you intended.

I've kept dwarf shrimp in 1.5l of water. They do not breed, but stay alive.

I didn't think about that prospective.... There is going be a killies keeping problem :(

I was considering some shrimps instead .. but the killies were to be so much nicer inside....

However I will need some time to think about the hardscape of that particular wabi first and it will need another couple of days to mature, before I introduce any life stock in it. :crazy:

I will have to do some research!

Any ideas for life stock are appreciated :)

Its being a while since I have posted something here, so here I am :D

wabi%20and%20Fuji.jpg

This was the moment when the Ivy Leaved Toadflax was blooming at most. very beautiful and pleasing. A moment to remember :angelic:

flowers1.jpg

After some algae issues with the white sand I have decided to go for the minimalistic look again without the sand and to save some Carbo too :) - I was adding it daily to combat the algae.

Here are some shots from today:

Here with the Sekibokka :)
Wabi%20%26%20the%20Sekibokka.jpg

It is amazing that the weeds has taken over the "scape", but I still think it looks great :shifty:

Minimalism%20Wabi1.jpg

and finally how the birds sees it ot at least a tall person, like me :lol:
minimalismWabi_above.jpg

I love it, Lovely development of it along the way. Reminds me to look for some Ferns to add to mine.

That wabi almost entirely done with plants I have found on the fence wall in my backyard :) Very different project and it was awesome. Flowering all the time. I kept it humid, but not very wet though. There was just about 5 mm of water at the bottom.

Back