• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60L low tech progress.

Matt Havens

Hi all, now nearly in week 3 since planting and wanted to show you all my progress/fail. Hence this post. Shopping for answers.

I will put a link for my earlier posts here so you can see the changes. http://www.ukaps.org/forum/index.php?threads/38688/

Here is te tank as we speak almost 3 weeks in.

3df354d00d4f04cc2d283ba73d25ff42.jpg

4b73285cc10e2c11480cb4660639b4f6.jpg

You will see in this picture 2 (bunches) of Rotala Wallichii.The right hand side appears to be dying from the bottom. Should I propogate this yet?

042e43e053eb4f9047d03ebacfa8b57f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Matt, it's possible your plants are struggling due to lack of carbon, even though liquid carbon does a fair job it's not comparable to gas injection for some plants, you may need to replace a few plants and see what grows well with the liquid carbon or make the step up to gas injection FWIW I've never been able to grow an Allternanthera sp well they always seem to melt and wither away, I would remove as much melt as possible from the hairgrass it does look like it's starting to take.

Hi all, thanks for your replies so far. I admit I do need to get a proper CO2 setup. At present I am going to have to stick with the liquid form. Martin I have been keeping a log of the setup the link you will find above for the thread.

I appreciate all the feedback guys and girls. What a great community of enthusiasts! Always get helpful suggestions whenever in need of it.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, it's possible your plants are struggling due to lack of carbon, even though liquid carbon does a fair job it's not comparable to gas injection for some plants, you may need to replace a few plants and see what grows well with the liquid carbon or make the step up to gas injection FWIW I've never been able to grow an Allternanthera sp well they always seem to melt and wither away, I would remove as much melt as possible from the hairgrass it does look like it's starting to take.

Thanks Tim,

I do have a Tropica Plant Growth System 60 which I could replace for the liquid carbo. I never liked the way that the gas would just sit in the chamber though and worried about this not getting distributed around the tank.

Search for it on YouTube if you do not know what this is.

Would this be a problem trying to change from liquid to gas at this stage in the process?

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi Matt

Good thing is it's still early doors so it's not a chuck and start again.
I looked on your thread and I didn't find what I wanted quick enough, I'm not that into ready journals either so could you provide the following

Tank size - (I know) 60l
Filter - turn over
Lights - wattage and type
Fertiliser - what ones and when

Water change frequency and how much

Will be super easy that way.

I can see from the off you have conflicting flow from your 2 filters. Meaning they will be meeting and cancelling each other out.

Step one - put both filters on the back wall

*edit*

Those plants look good. Hair grass will most likely be lack of co2.
Get the full spec up anyway

Hi all here is an update for you. I appear to have some algae issues. Please take a look.
cea9f5cc2bd7eb34f246b0b69ec1e18f.jpg

Generally the plants seem to be doing fairly well, other than the eleocharis and a small part of the pogostemon halfieri.

670c196b049f990548196fde5767cf70.jpg

b95cb5f7ceec62dc9fa12a8309b19c1b.jpg

00aca94c49b553d298ee8627e4a46751.jpg

7e157e132105b707f8c1534ebbdb9859.jpg

More algae...

c6cba87bc02b08f6975473646ce39749.jpg

I have now moved the internal to the back alongside the HOB.
Lights running 6 hours a day using 1 pump of CO2 daily as instructed for 50L of water, being a 60 litre tank. And dosing 2 pumps of the special fertiliser every 2 - 3 days, instructions suggest 1 pump per 5L weekly. Water change about 40/50% weekly and top up mid week. No invertebrates or fish added yet. Here's the CO2 and Fertilizer...

921063142edb4787524b40f286859a85.jpg

Thanks all for your help so far

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back