• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila Pinnatifida in substrate

Jaap

Hi,

I have Hygrophila Pinnatifida from Tropica on a piece of wood and it grows well. Can I replant it in the substrate or will it not like that? Is it like Anubias or like Crypts?

Thanks

I have some growing in substrate for last four month's and it seem's to be doing well.
Did observe some pinholes on leaves but I increased the potassium a little, and it appear's to have resolved the issue .
Have seen some runner's poking up through the substrate near the plant and plan to attach these to some recently purchased wood pieces.

I hab a few cuttings in my very low light low tech propagator tank for a few months waiting in the substrate Akadama, gravel mix. It did realy well it even grew.. The little tank was packet with other plants, over time floating at the surface for at least 8 weeks.. Dear Pinna didn't mind, still grew, not realy fast but grew. Now it moved and is dry starting in another tank, in fuji sand as substrate, it also doesn't seem to mind that at all, it still looks healty.. :)

Some sellers databases state Pinna is an epiphyte, others say it isn't but can grow as such if the water collum is vertilized enough. I'm not totaly sure, but i have some nice collection of epiphytes (etc.) collected by now and seeing Pinna's rootstructure and growform i doubt it is a epiphyte by origine. Besides that, she does do both very good it seems.. :) No worries.. :thumbup:

Hygrophila pinnatifida is, correctly, not an epiphyte - it can grow epiphytic, though, and is often used so (especially submerse).
But just because it can grow epiphytic doesn't mean it allways should. Your plant will grow just as well, or better, in a good soil or substrate. The important thing is access to fertilisers.
Hyg. pinnatifida is neither like Crypt. or Mic. - it is a stem-plant, doing both vertical and horizontal stems (=last ones often mistaken for "runners", which they aren't).

Last edited:
I found that other hygrophilla species, esp. Difformis also produce such horizontal stems. Very annoying sometimes.
Yes, in "High Tech" conditions I get "horizontals" from some upright stem-plants, too; Hyg. difformis and Limn. sessiliflora, to mention a couple.

It definitely likes to have it's roots in the soil. It also likes to wrap it's roots around soil/wood etc. Hard to keep it happy with K esp in the tank is higher light.

Back