• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Fern showing darkened patches on leaves

castle

Hello, I have a simple tank where Java Fern takes up the back corner and probably 50% of the tank. I've noticed over the last month, the plants are showing dark brown patches almost like someone has burnt them.

Tank has a dirted substrate, and am not dosing at present but have some stuff if necessary (easycarbo and filtro). Light is a Incandescent light bulb, about 40w. Gets about 8 hours of lighting a day.

Unsure what has caused this but am worried it will kill them all off. Its attached to bog wood and not buried in substrate.

I just have a dip water test thing; water parameters seem fine although water is a little hard. I do a 15% water change every couple of weeks or so. This only started to appear around 1 month ago, and had been in tank for 3 months prior.

Giving this a go, I have searched, and Googled (also asked on Reddit) xD couldn't find an image that matched what I'm seeing, and also it seems this brown patching has increased across plants.

Any suggestions?

DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG
DSC_0033-1.JPG

My immediate reaction is '####', any suggestions on what to use? (bottle/brand preferences)

Thanks for your response btw :) I thought plants would get that kind of stuff from the substrate, but then I guess that's a slow release.

Probably worth noting, that anything added should be shrimp CPD safe :)

Thanks Andy, I'm not in a place to easily mix my own, so will go with TNC complete. Excellent, advice I was looking for.

Back