• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming stem plants advice

aquascape1987

Hi, I wonder if any of you could give some much needed advice about the best method of trimming stem plants. I currently have some Ludwigia senegalensis and also Ludwigia mini super red growing and it's getting towards the point where I'm going to need to trim the senegalensis. My question is.... is there a method of trimming that avoids ruining the look of the stems afterwards when they start to re grow? By ruining the look, I mean the disjointed appearance of off shoots that some off the side of the cut stems? Many of the beautiful scapes in see on here appear to have perfectly sized stems growing, which suggests that they must be trimmed to control their growth,but they always appear to be uncut complete stems. I attach a pic below of the disjointed shoots I mean in terms of the after cutting growth.

Last edited:
20160316_190945.jpg

And this is what I would like the stems to look like. Uncut,but obviously they need to be trimmed in order to control height. How do those guys do that on the fantastic pics you see of aquas
20160315_230449.jpg
capes??

There are, ofcourse, many ways to trim/cut stem-plants. Not all benefit from the same method.
By far most will perform and present nice group-appearance by the following method, known as "Black Current Method" (it's used for trimmng berry bushes, professionally).
- when group of stems are in good growth and reaching surface (or desired hight) cut 1/3 of stems (the tallest ones), preferably quite low. Re-plant all (or the healthiest) of those cuttings in or around original group (remove leaves, that will be buried, when replanting).
- as group grow again, cut next 1/3 of stems (now tallest). Still low and still re-plant at least some.
- as group re-grow, cut last 1/3 of stems (tallest). still low and re-plant at least some.........and next trim; again 1/3 of stems (tallest ones).......etc.....
This will ensure re-juveniling group constantly and the group will look good at all time - it'sca never-ending process. Good luck and have fun :thumbup:

Back