• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rocks

Sorry mate cant tell you if they would be okay in an aquarium. Please can you name the store where the rocks were seen?

I think they'll all be OK for aquarium use...some e.g. top left may raise TDS but that's not usually a problem with the frequent and substantial water changes associated our planted tanks.

e.g. top left may raise TDS but that's not usually a problem with the frequent and substantial water changes associated our planted tanks
this may depend somewhat on tap water - mine's very soft - pH jumps dramatically with some of these rocks (as in pH 6.0 to pH 8.5 - 9.0)

Many people will suggest taking care with the red streaked rock, again depending on water parameters & actual type of deposit, you may observe water column effects (also likely depends on amount of rock used)

Looks like lots of interesting rock!

Or vinegar....yep alto has a point, However, many of the rocks used for aquascaping like seiryu stone and ryuoh stone are all really just types of limestone and some very soft, and have a tendency to raise TDS pH etc even in fairly hard water areas but regular 50% water changes usually seem to counter that.

Noticed B&Q started putting "not fish safe" on most of their decorative garden pebbles and cobbles in garden centre area,dont think they really know just a cover option for them maybe some pond owner has had a issue?Granite rockery stone looks good

Yeh none of them are named just classed as decorative. I liked the look of the grey ones for what I want to do. The black and white pebbles are pretty cool as well. Didn't realise they were owned by tesco!

Thought this was going to be Dobbies, recognised them from my local one in Aberdeen! Does your Dobbies have an Aquatics section? We did here in Aberdeen, but it was not great, but it has now been taken over by Maidenhead Aquatics/Fishkeeper Scotland and is much better.

Hi Roy, is this where you got the nice grey stones used in the hardscape for your 60cm? (which you are killing me by not planting yet by the way, haha)

Hi Wisey, The lager gray paddle stones yes. The little gray pebbles I collected from a gravel bar in a stream just round the corner from where I live:D

Sorry to keep you waiting on the 60cm it will be up and running soon ;) I am just in the middle of a new project at the moment and sorting out the 40cm Cube form a algae attack.

One photo of the stream where I hunt stones and other bits :rolleyes:

055_zps5qzlqcpx.jpg

Hi Roy
Dobbies is here https://www.dobbies.com/find-a-garden-centre/milton-keynes/ it has an aquatics section, but it's not too clever.
And there are two other garden centres near one another here...
http://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.uk/garden-centres/wyevale/Woburn-Sands/26 also incorporates Maidenhead Aquatics - great people and livestock.
http://www.frostsgardencentres.co.uk/centres/woburn_sands which is where I got the slate used in Cryptic Haven from - landscape section. Used to have aquatics but it closed down.
Next time you come up to Destination Aquatics (still the best) give them a look see. The road network is so good in MK you can get from one side to the other in 10-20 mins, so it shouldn't take you long;)

Raising the ph would be a good thing for me I just want to make sure the rocks don't contaminate the water.

Roy do you have a link to your 60cm?

Back