• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spring Passage - 40cm Cube *Updated Pics!*

Your signature style was lost initially but has returned now. Great stuff.

The Apistogramma pair actually get on really well, even when she's had enough of him. Under the rock on the right, there is a tunnel system that extends to the back of the tank, If he is expelled from there, he can go unnoticed on the upper levels.

Post WC, Hardware included...

Pfft, that heater really is ridiculous. Don't worry it's on my agenda to remove it!

DSC_4246_zpsao2awwui.jpg

Pulled out Rotala green and replanted all the tips, as some of the lower growth was getting straggly.

DSC_4251_zpsyutdcwel.jpg

Right side, rotundifolia starting to 'redden up!'

DSC_4249_zpshjeamwln.jpg

DSC_4252_zpsad9dzzkr.jpg

MC starting to spill over the top of the cliff, I hope that it will eventually reach the bottom substrate level, and I can remove the mishmash of plants underneath the heater.

I have noticed minor Thread algae growth, which I'm putting down to too much light (100% for 6 and a half hours). Apart from reducing light intensity, manually removing algae and dosing liquid carbon, what else can I do to prevent it spreading?

Cheers!

Hi Joe, your tank is coming along nicely! Out of interest, how many fish do you have in there? I've got a similar sized tank and am starting to think about what to put in it.

Sorry about your algae issues, I haven't got any advice for you but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will :)

Hey Joe,

Plants are coming along nicely. As you've said reduce the intensity of the light your algae problems will dissipate. In the mean time you can trim down the milk bottle a little ;)

Jonny

My favourite view of the tank:

DSC_5896_zpssosothf1.jpg

DSC_5888_zpsblxnw7gh.jpg

Starting to adopt a slight jungly feel, just wish the rotundifolia would grow to its full potential...

DSC_5894_zpsgydklpsi.jpg

Pretty, pretty petchii. What a total beaut! I'm a sucker for crypts, and have never kept this one before. Lav it!

DSC_5895_zpsumoxpaow.jpg

A bodged airline raft for stray Salvinia..

DSC_5890_zpsynww6ykw.jpg

Right side.. And Monte carlo starting to burst over the cliff, hopefully it reaches the substrate on the lower level.

DSC_5899_zpsf4qzip0w.jpg

And a favourite shot of the tank to finish this update with:

DSC_5902_zpsax78eyky.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with the tank. Growth rates have been sporadic, mainly in line with my maintenance regime and attention to specific variables.

I beat the hair algae outbreak with carbon dosing and lower light intensity. My lovely Buce has recently put out a flower, will photograph it when it pops!

I did some major maintenance today as the tank had seen some neglect. Chopped carpet in the foreground down to the substrate, rotala stems down to about an inch and ripped out all the Hydrocotyle, as its growth was just a bit leggy.

On the way back from bleaching my CO2 diffuser, I managed to drop it which of course snapped the input nozzle..

A quick browse on CO2 Art popped up a Nano Atomiser for £15, so that should arrive early next week. Hopefully it gives my carbon dissolution a wee boost and pops the reds in my rotundifolia..

Must say I'm getting a wee bit itchy with this scape and have been imagining something new.. How about a dragon stone island surrounded by MC and Eleocharis mini, with a miniature redmoor forest erupting from the centre? Hmm... Thoughts?

Thanks for looking guys and gals, let me know what you think!

Looking good joe, I've found with the rotundifolia after each trim its best to let it grow really tall and let the stems thicken up again, also worth every few trims uprooting and just replanting the tops to start again so to speak, it also may be lacking a little flow around the base of the stems due to your rock layout.

Must say I'm getting a wee bit itchy with this scape and have been imagining something new.. How about a dragon stone island surrounded by MC and Eleocharis mini, with a miniature redmoor forest erupting from the centre? Hmm... Thoughts?

Thanks for looking guys and gals, let me know what you think!

IMO for cube tanks it's better to implement triangle layout. Other layout types need more length of the tank which is cube does not really have.

Hi all, Like it, do you still have your Apistogramma?Your Salvinia is Pistia.

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel!

Apistogramma are still there, however the female jumped during maintenance, only to be discovered when it was too late :( Male looks lovely now though, has coloured up with a nice mohican dorsal..

Cheers

Looking good joe, I've found with the rotundifolia after each trim its best to let it grow really tall and let the stems thicken up again, also worth every few trims uprooting and just replanting the tops to start again so to speak, it also may be lacking a little flow around the base of the stems due to your rock layout.

Hey Tim! Thanks for the feedback :) Definitely agree, that technique has seen the best regrowth, however I think you're right regarding flow. It is such a mighty difference in height, from the bottom substrate level to the surface of the tank, with the equivalent of an 80ft cliff to jump up! Hence the potential re-scape idea...

Cheers :D

IMO for cube tanks it's better to implement triangle layout. Other layout types need more length of the tank which is cube does not really have.
Hey Alex! Thanks for the feedback, do you mean a triangle style backed into one corner, with a sloping gradient towards the front of the tank?

Thanks again :)

Hey Alex! Thanks for the feedback, do you mean a triangle style backed into one corner, with a sloping gradient towards the front of the tank?

Yes, either from one corner, or just one side is higher than other and plant height goes gradually down to other side. The former option provides you nice open foreground in the opposite corner, look at @tim 's tank with dragon stones - it has similar dimensions to yours.

Hey Joe

Loving the cascade of plants on the right hand side!! I get the feeling of walking through an old forest where the plants have melded together over time and I see why you've called it " spring passage" its a very apt name :thumbup:

Actually come to think of it, the scape in the shop you created has the same sense of age/forest to it.

whats next? Move towards a final FTS with this scape or you still itching to do your next scape?

regards, Jonny

Back