• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Pump

Chrispy

I'm starting to buy the equipment I need for my first high tech tank and today purchased a Kamoer Dosing Pump KSP-F03-3. I've gone for three heads although I'll only use 1-Macro and 2 - Micro to start with. Having kept 'Dirty Tanks' for over 40 years this is a new venture for me so I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
1. Check valves. The instruction manual tells me which direction I should fit the check valves they have supplied. "The correct orientation is with the black face of the CV closest to the output side of the pump." "*We recommend placing the CV at THE END of the dispense line for each pump - this way the pump tube will be kept airtight and prevent any evaporation or growth of bacteria." Clearly the CV has to go on the outlet side but do the instructions imply it should be as close to the pump as possible or, to my way of thinking, as close to where the tube hangs over the tank? I assume this is what they mean by keeping the tube airtight?
2. Video's. I've seen some excellent videos on setting up other makes of Dosing Pumps by UKaps members. Can anyone provide a link to setting up the Kamoer.
3. It looks as if I can programme the pumps to run on specific days. ie Pp1 Mon, Wed, Fri and Pp2 Tue, Thu. Sat. Can anyone with this pump confirm that for me.
I'm sure there will be more questions as I progress so thank you in advance for your replies.
Chris.

1. I think they mean closer to where the tube hangs over the tank, which actually makes a lot of sense. I might have to move mine now!

2. Try youtube, I'm sure you'll find one.

3. This will probably be covered by point 2 also, sorry I can't help more.

Thanks for your reply Julian.
I'm still not sure about the check Vv.
If it's on the outlet tube near to the Pump once the Pp has delivered it's dose, providing the Vv works correctly, then the whole line from the check Vv to the outlet will remain full of dosing liquid.
Conversely if the check Vv is near the end of the line, providing the Vv works correctly, the whole line from the check Vv back to the Pp will remain full of dosing liquid.
The only problem with having the Vv near the output end of the line is if the rollers on the Pump are not pinching the tubing. This would allow the fluid to drain back into the dosing container. I've read this can happen on some of the cheaper pumps with only two rollers. The model I have, according to the manufacturers blurb, has three rollers. ........ So I'm still not sure what to do. Maybe other members will read this and offer their advice.

I have found a couple of videos on Youtube but they are mainly produced by the manufacturer or marine aquarium keepers that don't appear to have the separate dosing needs we require for our fert' dosing. I have seen a couple of excellent videos on setting up the Jecod DP-3 by UKaps members as that model doesn't appear to have the ability to dose on alternate days without some sort of fudge. I think the TMC Easi dose is the same. I guess unless a member with the Kamoer pumps see this it will be have to be a couple of weeks of trial and error with plain water.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Thanks for your reply Julian.
I'm still not sure about the check Vv.
If it's on the outlet tube near to the Pump once the Pp has delivered it's dose, providing the Vv works correctly, then the whole line from the check Vv to the outlet will remain full of dosing liquid.
Conversely if the check Vv is near the end of the line, providing the Vv works correctly, the whole line from the check Vv back to the Pp will remain full of dosing liquid.
The only problem with having the Vv near the output end of the line is if the rollers on the Pump are not pinching the tubing. This would allow the fluid to drain back into the dosing container.

If the valve is placed before the pump head, the pump head sucks the liquid through, this will possibly cause the tube walls to collapse due to the pressure and thus you're more likely to get air inside the tube.

If the valve is placed after the pump head, the pump is pushing the liquid through, I don't think there's any opportunity for the tubes to collapse or air to be sucked in because there isn't the same kind of pressure.

In either scenario the tube will remain full of dosing liquid unless the check valves fail and the pump heads don't pinch the tube hard enough.

I think scenario 2 is the better option, and as the manufacturer states, the liquid in the tube will be less exposed to air, preventing evaporation and bacteria growth.

Back