• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green water algae, need help :(

Ulfsark

About a month ago I did a major trim and replanting in my tank. Also after that I’ve added an extra 54w HO T5 lamp (now 4x in total (216) on a 120cm x 50cm x 50cm tank. Few weeks ago I have noticed that tanks water started to get greenish cloudy. I did a major water change, it cleared up my water for a while, but after a day it started to cloud up again. Then I decided to do a 3 day blackout and after it I did a 60% water change. Then I had to leave my home for 5 days. I had a friend to take care of my tank, once a day feed my fish and dose 10 ml of VIMI all in red fertilizer (it’s a rather small dose of premade micro and macro fert mix). Also for this period I was afraid that the water will cloudy up again, so I left tank running only with 2x54 t5’s. Today I came back to see my super cloudy. Water parameters are fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 15-20 nitrate. The fish and plants are completely fine. Plants are pearling and algae free . I don’t know what to do now. Water looks terrible and I think a water change won’t solve the problem as I tried it before.
13479899_10209514372840034_1120017835_n.jpg
13480015_10209514372680030_1847071760_n.jpg

If you can afford one, you can just use a UV filter to get rid of it.

Just keep doing water changes, I think the problem will resolve it's self eventually. I'm not an expert with T5's but 4 sounds like a lot.

Perhaps the filter is in need of service (clean the mechanical filter media )
Make sure no one else is also feeding the fish.

Check the filter as said before, clean it with water from the tank to not mess up the bacteries. Often green water is caused by too much light, and/or too much organic matter in the tank, etc. In your case looks like the additional lights triggered it.

A good UV filter can do the trick, but it is not mandatory.

Water changes, reduce the light during the green water's invasion (not to the point where plants lack light), and you must find the new equilibrium between new lighting, ferts and co2. In the meantime, floating plants can help you against it and go from there to the new equilibrium.

Michel.

Back