• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need an ID please

mort

Hi, can you please tell me what this "tree" is? calling it a tree as it has a single central stem. I've always thought it was an Ash, Fraxinus excelsior but a friend said "why are you growing that elder". It sprung up in the garden a couple of years ago and where I moved it another has sprung up so it got me thinking. The leaves are made up of 13 leaflets and about a foot long at the moment. Any help is appreciated thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 138
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 121
I'am 99% sure You are correct, Elder. Sambucus Nigra has 5 to 7 pairs of pinnate leaflets as opposed to 6 to 12 in Ash , but they do look very similar ;) of course the fruits are very different, ash being winged shape and elder the unmistakable small black berries in clusters

Last edited:
Thanks, there haven't been any fruits yet but I have it planted in an old salt bucket anyway so can easily remove it later.

Thanks Darrel, the terminal buds are black and it has a smooth grey stem. I put it next to the black elder as I was trying to compare it but realise the normal elder grows differently.

Back