• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID please

mort

I found this growing at the back of the tank in some moss, which is where I guess it came in from. I had a thought but not sure so thoughts i'd ask. Thanks

IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG

Is your tank low or high energy?

Pretty low energy really (part EI but with only a little liquid carbon). This was growing at the back which gets good sunshine in the afternoon otherwise it would be in a dim spot.

Riccia ?.

I have riccia flutans growing in the tank but in the flesh this is very different. It isn't as wide and it's a deeper green. It's very similar to the monosolenium tenerum in look but far finer with a defined structure splitting from the bottom where it seems connected to the next.

Riccia can sometimes change into a socalled "sinking form". Quite different from the standard "floating form". Fits your description perfectly and pic. also look exactly like it.
If you dislike it, be aware; it's even more difficult to get rid of, then the floating one........

Thank you both. Its hard to believe a plant can change so much. I'll tie it to some wood in my shrimp tank and see what happens.

Thank you both. Its hard to believe a plant can change so much. I'll tie it to some wood in my shrimp tank and see what happens.
I agree - I had hygrophila difformis lose it's lace like appearance on a few leaves & under low light sagittaria subulata/platyphylla (a mid ground plant) has has leaves approx 40 cm long!

Its hard to believe a plant can change so much.

That's what makes most moss sp. sometimes difficult to identify they can change appearance when conditions change. But Ricia has different sp. or just maybe variations. Hard to say sometimes where it comes from, Mosses spread with spores, they can sneak into your tank in several different ways without notice. It happened to me too, ending up with a totaly different ricia i thought i bougth. Realy can't say if it changed appearance or was a new sp. hitchhiking with something else. Experienced it with 3 different moss spieces btw, ending up in my tank without ever buying them. I guess moss is teh most common hitchhiker around, next to algae. :)

I also have a strand growing quite rapidly in my tank, I think it must have gotten in accidentally with my other plants. I thought it might have been a weed as such as one of my plants were bought of ebay but as it has grown it is looking nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also do you have any monte carlo in your tank as it seemed to grow from the monte carlo and not sure if this may be a weird variant of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi ryan, No I don't have monte carlo. I thought mine came in with some moss but it was growing right next to the riccia which kinda validates the guys I'd above.

Back