• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from widnes

Hi guys. I'm new to the group and introducing myself.
I'm just building my second low tech tank. The first is a juwel trigon with a number of easy plants in a aquarium sand substrate, dosing liquid co2 daily. It's going OK but I've got a reoccurring Cyano problem.
I'm keeping rainbowfish and currently have a hatching tank full of c.alleni wapoga fry.
I've just built a stand and have a new 4ft tank that the fry will go into when big enough. The new tank is ready for a better substrate to keep some better plants in. The substrate will be miracle grow potting compost with a good helping of vermiculite capped with limpopo sand and I'm looking to start planting this weekend.
I've got hygrophila augustipholia, blyxa and nymphoides taiwan and some frog bit waiting to in.
Just looking for any guidance with making sure the substrate doesn't foul the water really, do I just fill a few inches at first while I'm planting ?
Also I haven't bought a light yet can anyone recommend àn ok budget light? The tank will be get an hour or so of full morning sunlight (for the rainbows) and I'm prepared to deal with any extra algae to see the fish in the sunlight. Hence why I only really want a budget light.

Any guidance would be appreciated guys
Cheers

Welcome and good luck with your new tank.
As for a budget light, there are plenty of options, many have been discussed on the forum, try a search and maybe start a new thread in lighting;)

Hi from one rainbow fish keeper to another and welcome to ukaps , C,Alleni wapoga is a seriously beautiful fish :) I'am keeping four species at the moment from two genera. Are you keeping anything else other than the" Wapoga" ? good luck with the planting , would be nice to see any photo's of your fish, and obviously your tank once planted.

Back