• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID please - think it is from the Microsorium genus

papa_c

I was given a tiny cutting of the plant in the picture, but I cannot remember what it is called, I recall Microsorum, but cannot remember them exact type, was told it is an uncommon variety, its very slow growing and has just started to recover after 4 months in the tank, it is just starting to produce new leaves. The picture shows the full plant which is about 4cm in length at the moment.

Anybody care to suggest what it might be?

ID.jpg

Last edited:
Microsorum pteropus aka Java fern.. :) It's a family of ferns having quite some variety sp. Large, small, narrow, forked, orange, red, hammered, smooth.. From your size it is hard to say which exactly it is and what it finaly will turn into, could be a regular one. :) But if said it's a uncommen one, it might be a Phillipine seeing the vains of the larger leaf.

I think it's the regular one. Over in Malaysia, the narrow and needle leaves are the expensive ones. The regular and Windelov versions are worth almost nothing with some shops selling big specimens tied onto driftwood for about USD1.30.

4 months and it's only at 4cm. Weird. They're not fast growers but neither should they be that slow.

Java fern can be picky and take a long time to establish.. If they get co2 and relatively lot of light it grows substancialy faster. And or change leafshape, starting out rather narrow, but grow wider when leaves get older. They are very slow growers, so i guess Nitrogene isn't realy their main consern, they are much more depending on phosphorus, potassium and micro elements, in long term this average level determine their final grow form and how they show it.

I got a sp. philippine, i ordered it via ebay from a shop located in Malaysia, november 29 - 2015, at that time the only one i could find selling it.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/aquaticmagic?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754
So might as well be you got this one, it definitively is available in the Malaysian aquarium trade.. :)

In the high tech it didn't grow bigger as 4 to 6 cm in a year time, but a lot more mass and a rather smooth and narrow leaf. In the small low tech which i do not fertilise it grows way slower and smaller but a wider and differently structured leaf. They do not realy look like the same fern at first glanse.

That what makes Java fern sp. so difficult to identify in submersed form. Depending on and don't ask what it excactly depends on the most i guess age might finaly tell.

The regular java grows much bigger and wider in the first place and has a vain in it's leaf more buil up like a feather.
javaFern3.jpg

And the philippine can shows a vain that build up like a irregular shaped honeycomb and a bit more curled and crackling.
MpteropusPhilippineSM.jpg

But my own experience tells me, it doesn't necessarely do this, depending on the parameters it lives in, you need to look realy up close. But likely next to it's size the only way to tell from submersed forms is looking at matured leafs. If leaves do not mature and get yellow and slowly faul from the tips but stay attached it might be K shortage, do the get yellow and fall off rather soon before showing dead tisue it likely is P shortage.

It's slow growth rate makes it a very difficult plant to read and a bad indicator. :thumbup:

Gents, thanks for the input on this, if it is the standard Java fern then unfortunately it won't be staying where it is, it will be way too big, I need something small and compact for this area. however it will stay where it is for the time being will being interesting to see it develop.

papa_cee I'm pretty sure your picture is 'spoon leaf' java fern, and as you say it is very rare. I don't have any experience with it myself so I don't know how big it might get but I knew I'd seen similar before as I'm always looking for rare ferns.
here's a couple of pictures I found of 'spoon leaf' for your consideration. Wish I knew how to scale them down a bit?
15864683820_f91dfb3f26_b.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Hey Louis, thanks for this, it certainly does look very similar, glad I have kept it, looking at a thread Vaster posted in APC this took him a year to grow so growth rate is very similar to mine. Based on this it will be staying where it is in my tank :)

I'll update in a while on how the growth is going.....

Back