• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

I just had a look at your builds, really nice work. Even though I think you spent a bit more than $1000, stones, plants and all included.

Thanks, yes probably when you add it all up, all the various lily pipes I have broke and replaced, plants, ferts and bits and bobs it would be well over $1000, I just spend $45 on a 9kg Seiryu stone :p

Thanks, yes probably when you add it all up, all the various lily pipes I have broke and replaced, plants, ferts and bits and bobs it would be well over $1000, I just spend $45 on a 9kg Seiryu stone :p

PM me when you find a 9kg SAN SUI for $45 :p

That´s a lot of money for empty tanks...you should start scaping! :p;)

I wish!

Here is a ToDo list of work to be done before I can order plants:

1.) Install Reverse Osmosis system
2.) Fit cable and hose grommets in cabinet for main tank
3.) Fit cable and hose grommets in kitchen countertop for backup / refugium tank
4.) Wiring and tubing for main tank
5.) Wiring and tubing for backup / refugium tank
6.) Read up on ferts and order
7.) Read up on my plants and fish list, make sure water parameters etc match

Still waiting on parts. That second GLA CO2 regulator is hand build and might need 2 weeks alone. I think I'll be able to start scaping and planting in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Still have to make up my mind if I want to frost the backwall on the main tank or even both tanks. On one side I want to use a LED backwall light, but on the other side I like to keep it open and see-through.

Working on that stand for the reverse osmosis system... might go to Wal Mart for some water resistant paint... AT MIDNIGHT.

Img_3063.jpg

I finished the stand for the reverse osmosis system tonight, hooked it up in the laundry room and tested it.

This is a 6 stage unit that also pulls chlorine out of the tap water. I don't want to use any chemicals to neutralize hazardous elements.

Front side with 3-way TDS meter and pressure gauge build in:

Img_3070.jpg

Backside:

Img_3071.jpg

20 gallon tank in place:

Img_3072.jpg

I was able to fit everything inside a shelving unit in my laundry room, hooked up to the washing machine freshwater and wastewater:

Img_3074.jpg

I was about to go to bed but decided to place an order for some more parts and a hose that I could run from the reverse osmosis tank to the main fish tank in the living room. And then it happened: why would I run a stupid hose, when the laundry and the living room not only are separated by just one wall but they are right on the same wall?

There is a power outlet right behind the fish tank and I'll just run a permanent hose through the wall right into the laundry room. HELLO AUTO TOP-OFF SYSTEM.

A hose can also go both ways through the wall, meaning running a waste water hose too. HELLO AUTO WATER CHANGES.

Gorgeous tank & equipment :D

Sawbwa resplendens can be a stunning fish but not that simple to get the best display/behaviour from this species - local shop used to bring them in regularly but only ever received males (& the odd female in an order of 200 - 300 fish)
Ska Shrimp seems to still import them regularly (Wet Spot lists some as TR but not sure on their source as transshippers list as wild caught & seasonal .....) & has the best pricing I've seen

Why not dump the JBJ & go with a kit from Innovative Marine
- fusion nano 10 sells for under $100, I've seen some lagoon 20 at clear out prices ... though I'd go with the peninsula 14 re space considerations & decent dimensions for fish quarantine/hospital ;)

It's tempting to run the Q/H tank with plants etc but not as convenient for treating fish or moving fish
- I finally gave in & keep a bare tank on hand as well now (funny how tanks just keep on proliferating)

Re RO water storage, sanitation becomes a consideration - though if used for daily water change/top up may be fine
What does your system provide in terms of antibacterial activity?

Difficult to get moss off of San Sui stone - even after scrubbing & bleaching, I've seen bits reappear & begin to grow :eek:

Gorgeous tank & equipment :D

Sawbwa resplendens can be a stunning fish but not that simple to get the best display/behaviour from this species - local shop used to bring them in regularly but only ever received males (& the odd female in an order of 200 - 300 fish)
Ska Shrimp seems to still import them regularly (Wet Spot lists some as TR but not sure on their source as transshippers list as wild caught & seasonal .....) & has the best pricing I've seen

Why not dump the JBJ & go with a kit from Innovative Marine
- fusion nano 10 sells for under $100, I've seen some lagoon 20 at clear out prices ... though I'd go with the peninsula 14 re space considerations & decent dimensions for fish quarantine/hospital ;)

It's tempting to run the Q/H tank with plants etc but not as convenient for treating fish or moving fish
- I finally gave in & keep a bare tank on hand as well now (funny how tanks just keep on proliferating)

Re RO water storage, sanitation becomes a consideration - though if used for daily water change/top up may be fine
What does your system provide in terms of antibacterial activity?

Difficult to get moss off of San Sui stone - even after scrubbing & bleaching, I've seen bits reappear & begin to grow :eek:

Thank you.

That's some really good info for me. If I can't order 3 or 4 females for each male, I might have a problem in my rather small tank. What will happen if I have lets say 10 males and no females in my 20 gallon tank? Will they fight or is there a chance to sort it out?

I already bought another Ultum Nature Systems tank to replace the JBJ. I thought about the peninsula 14, but that was getting to large for my kitchen counter and I didn't want another custom made cabinet.

Afaik RO systems remove basically all bacteria. I have the 6 stage system from BulkReefSupply: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/6-stage-150gpd-plus-water-saver-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

Any suggestions?

That confirms it for me: no moss.

@McCarthy I have absolutely nothing to add here, but just wanted to say I am following your journal (from the shadows) to see what amazing set up you can create when finances don't impede progress.

(Meanwhile I'm battling T5 HiLite's on a low tech set up because I refuse to pay for CO2)

Anyway, you have the patience of a saint doing so much planning without even ordering a single plant yet ;)

I hope it all turns out great, no pressure by the way but you've built this thing up!

If you get stuck on any technical lighting/plant related issues, you're at the right place, any number of pros here to help you out (just not me):p

R

@McCarthy I have absolutely nothing to add here, but just wanted to say I am following your journal (from the shadows) to see what amazing set up you can create when finances don't impede progress.

(Meanwhile I'm battling T5 HiLite's on a low tech set up because I refuse to pay for CO2)

Anyway, you have the patience of a saint doing so much planning without even ordering a single plant yet ;)

I hope it all turns out great, no pressure by the way but you've built this thing up!

If you get stuck on any technical lighting/plant related issues, you're at the right place, any number of pros here to help you out (just not me):p

R

Thanks Reayman for following. I just added even more tech to the list. :)

The reverse osmosis unit was leaking at 5 different locations. Contacted the manufacturer, no response, ordered parts and fixed it myself.

Tested over night, no more leaks.

It's also hooked up to the 20 gal pressure tank. Everything working, TMS monitor shows 120 incoming (tap water), 2 between stage 3 and 4, and zero past stage 6.

Img_3091.jpg

More parts arrived, with the ADA skimmer being the highlight:

DSC00541.jpg

Then I decided that I want a tank controller. Was looking into the Reef systems from Neptune (Apex), Digital Aquatics (ReefKeeper), started another thread on this forum and was directed to the industrial grade LOGO!8 controller from Siemens by Ian. https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/reef-tank-controller-for-freshwater.49868/

Now I'm looking at using this:

130185.jpg

...and a bunch of relays, sockets, adapters and an enclosure to make it look like this:

upload_2017-5-24_13-23-10-png.png

...and all this to control these functions (and more):

1.) Temperature probe: cuts off the heater and light if heater fails in the on position, turns on chiller above set temperature.

2.) Auto top-off system with 2 sensors, directly from the reverse osmosis system.

3.) Programmable fish feeder, which turns of the canister filter when feeding,

4.) Programmable module that turns CO2 on or off based on PH probe, and based on timer (off at night).

5.) Alarm send via text / email / app to cell phone.

6.) Remote monitoring and access.

But don't worry, I'll get the tank cycled and running first. :)

Seems like a no expense spared build...looking forward to seeing this up and running;)

I wasn't expecting that either. My first plan was just one tank, some Amazon LED light, $100 CO2 regulator, classic Eheim filter and that's it. Liked the SAN SUI stone and all of the sudden I needed ADA glassware to match. The rest is history. :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to see if I can put all that tech to good use, being a noob and all.
scared0016.gif

Good idea - I did a long DSM then flooded and still had stuff to sort for PLC, its not a project you can rush.

I was getting impatient the last couple weeks because some vendors ship rather slowly but realized that rushing anything (unless its an emergency) won't do any good in this hobby. So I decided to pick up an additional hobby that should keep me entertained meanwhile.

These guys are just an hour away and I'll sign up for traning soon:

classic Eheim filter

Stopping filters on a regular basis can cause issues with them restarting, Ian_m use to stop his for short periods in the evening until it started to have issues restarting, so worth thinking about. I have a Fluval FX6 which auto stops every 12hrs to clear air out off filter so has been designed for regular stops starts so I have a little more confidence in stopping mine. Have it timed to stop about 30mins before CO2 injection on daily basis, no issues so far

Stopping filters on a regular basis can cause issues with them restarting, Ian_m use to stop his for short periods in the evening until it started to have issues restarting, so worth thinking about. I have a Fluval FX6 which auto stops every 12hrs to clear air out off filter so has been designed for regular stops starts so I have a little more confidence in stopping mine. Have it timed to stop about 30mins before CO2 injection on daily basis, no issues so far

I bought the Eheim Professionel 4e+ 350. This filter has a auto prime function and electronic flow / wave generator. They are completely different than the Classic series. Do you think that my filter will have the same issue?

Juicy equipment man start scaping!!

Before I can start scaping I have to make sure that I don't have to move the cabinet anymore, hence drill the holes for the cable and hose grommets. And the location of those holes depends on the location of all the equipment inside the cabinet. If the holes are in the wrong spots, I'll have much more hoses and tubes running inside, and I'll run out of room quickly in my rather small cabinet. Now that I'm even going to add a tank controller this planning is even more important. Keep in mind that I will also run an auto top-off and water change system with hoses running through the wall behind the cabinet.

The longer I think about this planning phase it becomes clear that I can't rush the layout of the cabinet at all.

I came here to look for a no-expense spared build......and found one!

Nice going dude. Looking forward to your updates.

Back