• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First time iwagumi

buttons

*link to my journal below*

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/james-60p-iwagumi-journal.50377/#post-494868

I'm setting up my Ada 60p iwagumi but I'm not very good and arranging the stone, in hoping to plant cuba as the carpet and unsure as of now on the other plants.

This is my first attempt at the hardscape, if some could give me som pointers that would great, ie: less rock, more rock etc

6809a851249fb009f2f79a79df88aabb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

James.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi!
It looks nice, I think stones are OK, no more needed. Traditionally, Iwagumi use a central rock, with great personality and the rest of the stones are small, used only to put into value the main one. But I found Iwagumi that are organized like this too. It also depends of available space. As far as I read about Iwagumi and from tutorials I saw, looks like at least 60-70% of the space should be reserved for plants.

IMO you need at least a main stone with more height (2/3) of the height of your aquarium.

You applied the golden ratio so that's a good thing.

They say you have to use an odd number of stones in a Iwagumi. I count 8 correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep in mind that this small stones will dissapear by carpet plants. This isn't really bad some stones are good to become hidden but keep it in mind.

Try to combine the stones more together to create a better balance.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I got caught up in between doing a iwagumi & landscape setup. I definitely want a iwagumi so I will remove some rock and add the largest rock and work around that. Will post up a pick when done.

Thinking about starting a journal on this new tank.

Good luck! Please do not forget the rule of "golden ratio" mentioned by Nigel. For an Iwagumi is very important, precisely because you don't have so many rocks to play with.

Looking good, I agree try create a little more height for one of the "feature stones" could arrange or stack two or more stones so they appear as one larger stone if you dont have anything big enough, some people even glue the stones together using aquarium safe silicon or hot glue

How does this look? Gone for 3 stones.

Led light finally turned up.

fc117fd6dda4d27131cac8ae009f3e93.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone got any input on the new lay out please?

It's a lot better, with both rock formations leaning away from each other on the far sides of the tank it makes the scape look very empty.
They are also all at the same distance from the back of the aquarium which makes the tank look very shallow (front to back)

Thanks for the in put, the photo makes it look like there side by side when but the larger rock is slightly more forward.

Any advice how to change it up a bit

24ee2ceafab60273c9d0eaeb05a30945.jpg

Change again, may head is spinning from a couple of rocks

The main stone looks great, you should keep it there. The rest of the stones ... a little more covered by gravel.
When the grass will grow, it will dress small rocks nice.

I'm pleased with the main stone, it the largest I have so I thought I'd build a bank for it to be higher.

Do you mean cover the other two with more gravel or add a few more stones?

It's Mini landscape rock, I bought it off zooplus.

I'm pleased with the main stone, it the largest I have so I thought I'd build a bank for it to be higher.

Do you mean cover the other two with more gravel or add a few more stones?

I mean to let them as they are and but not so exposed. If I understood well, the plants will be low. So, its not gonna "dress" the rocks to much. If I may be a little verbal, if the main stone is the word then the small rocks should be the quote!

75bedb7ff68ca764b9d11a00f544f0d8.jpg

Slight adjustments, put the rocks deeper in the soil.

Back