• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange Little Plant

Deanne

This strange, wiry, grassy plant has appeared in my tank. Anyone know what it is? Behind it is a dead looking root of Val, which I was hoping would revive, so the straw-coloured stuff is not part of the grass.

Attachments

• 187D065A-D3CC-4721-86EC-20E872C2798C.jpeg
    187D065A-D3CC-4721-86EC-20E872C2798C.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 133
Hi
Wait a few weeks then send another photograph!
Could well be Vallisneria plantlets!
Cheers hoggie
Very true and yeah I’d wait to see what you’ve got. Just let it grow.

They can pop up anywhere. There runners can appear on the opposite side of the tank from the adult plant. Quite amazing really. Same is true of Tiger lotus.

I forget what type I have now, but the baby plant usually looks like a tiny version of the adult. The baby will also usually send out its own runners as well. They’re pretty hardy and fast spreading, if you pull it up and it’s connected to the adult plant, you know what it is. If you cut the runner root, you can easily replant the baby plant anywhere you like.

You can get twisted types which would possibly explain the weird look of the young leafs. I don’t have any of twisted types though so can’t say for sure.

I don’t think it’s Val, those roots were delayed in the Christmas post and I found the little green plant in another tank and transferred it. They are definitely not related and I have never had any Val until I received the damaged plants at Christmas.

I think it looks most like one of the lilaeopsis, the leaves have the same rounded look. How splendid, I wonder where it came from, but I’m pleased to have it!

Yup definitively resambles Lilaeopsis a lot, i got a lot of it floating around in my plantbin tank looking very much the same..

Back