• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping Murdannia keisak

Ryan Young

Hi guys,

I am going to be re- starting my tank after a long time of leaving it from losing interest and this time am making sure I take every step to minimise issues.

So the tank itself is completely cycled but developed a lot of algae issues early on. I blame this on the fact I did not care for the tank enough (even though the fish themselves are doing really well despite a very occasional water change and terrestrial plants plants starting to grow which I was experimenting with in the summer). The main issues were too strong lighting, the lack of water changes and that I did not add Co2 to the tank which all added up giving me some pretty bad algae.

To save rambling on anymore, I have decided to go very minimalistic this time, with low doses of Co2 a piece of driftwood as the centrepiece with a few pieces of anubias on as my tank is overrun with the stuff, some low growing plants to cover the substrate such as lobelia and staurogyne repens with some murdannia Keisak growing aswell.

My issue is that I have tried to keep Murdannia Keisak in a Co2'd tank with two 36w bulbs on a 200l tank and they died in about two weeks. I see that they are noted as an easy plant. How can I make sure that this will not happen again? I love the look of the plant but would prefer to chose a different one if the same happens again.

Sorry for the long post :)

Thanks,
Ryan

It's in the tropica "easy"category, so shouldn't be a problem. What is your lighting period?
So when I was keeping it, I had the lights on for about 8 hours but at this time it was being turned off when I came home from work. Now I use a timer.

Ill give it a shot, it should be ok :)

Back