• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

stocking 32l

Aqua360

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of growing in/establishing a 32l low/medium tech tank, and wanted to get some opinions on stocking.

Ordinarily I'd go with a betta, but my existing one doesn't take well to the light levels, so I've moved him to something darker and see this as an opportunity to perhaps explore a pair of nano fish I can breed.

I can easily get my hands on sparkling gourami, scarlet badis etc, these are the two types I'd most readily brought to mind, but I'm open to other suggestions if anyone can suggest?

Cheers!

Bumblebee goby? Only because I want them but can't right now

Bumblebee goby? Only because I want them but can't right now

I've got access to them...but I hadn't considered them as I'd read conflicting info on them being brackish, so didn't even make it to the part about breeding! They are pretty nifty though, very eye-catching.

I've thought about dwarf apistogramma too, as I'd really like to see brood care, but I'm not sure it'd be fair on them to house them in the tank I have...(aqua one trio without dividers lol, same as the one I sold you, I couldn't let mine slip so ended up restarting it haha)

Haha yeh when I seen '32L' I thought that would be the case, yeh I would think anything above 3-4cm will be too large for that tank

Pretty sure it mentions on seriously fish that the gobys are found in both and more than likely wouldn't have been kept in brackish conditions with any supplier or breeder

I love Sparling Gouramis, so I would vote for those, lol.
But if you're considering Dwarf Cichlids, think about Nannacara anomala instead of Apistogrammas. Great brood care, and amazing changes of colours and patterns as they communicate, especially the female when herding the fry.

I love Sparling Gouramis, so I would vote for those, lol.
But if you're considering Dwarf Cichlids, think about Nannacara anomala instead of Apistogrammas. Great brood care, and amazing changes of colours and patterns as they communicate, especially the female when herding the fry.

interesting, I haven't actually heard of those, any idea on max size? I'll have a google also!

Do you have another larger tank in which to "pair" the dwarf cichlids? Usual method is to begin with a group of minimum 6 juveniles (hopefully at least 2 males & 2 females for choice, 1 male & 5 females etc, & you may still end up with a poorly suited "pair")
In a tank this small, you would want an established or well suited pair

Small Dario & some smaller shoaling fish (eg, endler boys) would be interesting & likely work with the dimensions & most scapes

They are supposed to reach 7cm for males, about 4cm females, but commercial stocks usually a bit smaller. It's easy to sex them (at the size they are usually sold) and buy a male and a female, and I've never known them to be fussy about their mate, never had a pair that didn't get on. Unlike some other dwarfs, lol.

Last edited:
Do you have another larger tank in which to "pair" the dwarf cichlids? Usual method is to begin with a group of minimum 6 juveniles (hopefully at least 2 males & 2 females for choice, 1 male & 5 females etc, & you may still end up with a poorly suited "pair")
In a tank this small, you would want an established or well suited pair

Small Dario & some smaller shoaling fish (eg, endler boys) would be interesting & likely work with the dimensions & most scapes

I don't sadly, which really scuppers some of my options :(

The hunt continues! As it stands, it's essentially growing in plant biomass just now, so I'm not worried about stocking right now, but I also had a mad urge to do a pair of gold ocellatus with sand, which I've mostly managed to quash lol

Back