• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A second filter or use one of my wave makers

becks

Hi,

I’m looking at purchasing the EA aquascaper 1200. My dad gave me one of his Eheim 1500XL bucket filters to use and I still have some wavemakers left over from my reef tank.

Would I better to buy a second filter or use a wave maker to provide a turnover of x10 I believe the 1500xl will provide enough filtration.

Hi there,

Plants & your 1500XL will provide more than enough filtration, I'd suggest saving the money and going with your wave makers which will have the same affect on flow. The only benefit you could see to another filter is that you'd increase particulate filtration and potentially chemical filtration if used. Some prefer to use another filter simply because it lessens the amount of equipment in the tank as some find wave makers look too intrusive.

Think it really comes down to your preference on having a wave maker in the tank - if you don't mind it then you could save some money.

I'd go with what you have first and change things if you need to. With decent sized tanks extra filtration can sometimes help but it's normally only when the tank is very heavily planted or stocked. Here extra filtration helps to remove particulates as matt mentions above but thsee might not be an issue in lighter stcoked tanks.

I don’t mind the wave makers, I don’t find them that intrusive but I’m most likely quite use to them.

I’ll keep the one large filter and use a wavemaker if required,

Back