• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape First-ish scape. Feel it’s not gone as well as it could?

newscaper

I’ve been keeping fish for about 5 years now and recently decided to bin all the fake plants and go real life.

I love the twisted roots and plenty of plants look.

I’ve been experimenting over the last 5 months and built up my equipment level to include medium to low end high lighting, large capacity external filter (was internal previously), stainless lily pipes with surface skimmer and pressurised co2.

It’s much a case of all the gear no idea sadly.

I have reasonable success with my plants only suffering the occasional BBA issue.

I’ve shuffled the scape several times but can’t quite get completely comfortable with it.

Can anyone offer an insight in to where I am going wrong? I view so many images I think I’m scape blind almost .

Any critique appreciated
e1381f781bf764581d8d682409af2bf2.jpg
204ec8c2cd3af5bac2efffbbe783fc08.jpg
dc1784887258f79954946fba4069774b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your scape is fine (although I do want to smooth out that hump in the gravel at the front), mainly what you are lacking is plant density.

Those stems on the back right side need splitting up and planting individually spacing about 1"-1.5" apart. That way they will cover a bigger area and have room for the water to circulate around. They'll bush out gradually as they grow and fill that back corner - imagine it twice as tall and wide and it will look great. You could consider some other stem plants to fill out the back if you wanted to add variety - even some fast growers to temporarily add more density.

That anubias at the bottom of the point on the wood - perfect position looks really good there and you've planted just right with the rhizome on the surface not buried.

What carpet plant do you have in the middle there? I think that will be a case of waiting for it to spread out.

What's on the top of the wood, it looks pale for javafern but it could be the lights?

Have you considered adding a few rocks in around the base of the wood? I'd pick something similar colours to your substrate. Just thinking that javafern could then be raised up a little on it. I think that's a good spot for it though. You might also consider splitting it a bit and glueing/tying sections running up the back of the wood for height.

You could also experiment with a black background - just using a piece of card.

I think your scape is fine (although I do want to smooth out that hump in the gravel at the front), mainly what you are lacking is plant density.

Those stems on the back right side need splitting up and planting individually spacing about 1"-1.5" apart. That way they will cover a bigger area and have room for the water to circulate around. They'll bush out gradually as they grow and fill that back corner - imagine it twice as tall and wide and it will look great. You could consider some other stem plants to fill out the back if you wanted to add variety - even some fast growers to temporarily add more density.

That anubias at the bottom of the point on the wood - perfect position looks really good there and you've planted just right with the rhizome on the surface not buried.

What carpet plant do you have in the middle there? I think that will be a case of waiting for it to spread out.

What's on the top of the wood, it looks pale for javafern but it could be the lights?

Have you considered adding a few rocks in around the base of the wood? I'd pick something similar colours to your substrate. Just thinking that javafern could then be raised up a little on it. I think that's a good spot for it though. You might also consider splitting it a bit and glueing/tying sections running up the back of the wood for height.

You could also experiment with a black background - just using a piece of card.

Thanks for the comments. I did split the stems earlier today actually but I did replant a little too tightly. Easy fix tomorrow .

Not sure on the carpet as I don’t recall planting it! It just sort of popped up and is looking quite healthy. Maybe some sort of crypt?

The plant on the dw at the top keeps melting. I think it was a microsorum. I get the feeling it doesn’t do so well in the bright at the top.

I may move the java fern up as suggested to give it a bit more presence.

I will be adding some rocks but I am right on the verge of removing the substrate in favour of tropica. The orange is meant to be volcanic rock or something and retains nutrients. I’m just not sure on the colour as it’s so unnatural.

The aquarium had a black background until recently. I removed it which seemed to give a much brighter airy feel but has lost contrast for the plants. I will try out some card

Hopefully getting some more plants tomorrow so maybe some fast growers to fill some space.

Substrate is likely to be my new year project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan on switching out the substrate I would concentrate on growing lots of nice healthy plants and you'll have lots of to work with when it comes to planting them back in and can rearrange them then. I used tropica recently and it is nice to plant in, and more natural than current - it is a little orange!

newscaper

I’ve been keeping fish for about 5 years now and recently decided to bin all the fake plants and go real life.
That is great news as live plants are beneficial to your tank.

My first concern is your inhabitants can you please run Aqadvisor http://www.aqadvisor.com/ It is a very good guide.

I am referring to your latest photo
Your DW looks very interesting but it could be positioned better by moving it to the right this would bring you closer to the two LH focal points.
This second move might also help a slight twist so the long thin piece is pointing to the RH bottom corner. The reason being it looks rather square on and, it might help to show the face of your DW better.

Your substrate is uneven height at the front making an uneven sight flow from L to R across the front of your aquascape.

One correctly placed well sculptured rock at the base of the DW could give your aquascape another feature to look at.

Keith:wave::wave:

Back