• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Have I killed my Alternanthera Reineckii?

newscaper

After some really helpful advice offered via the forum I decided to split up the stems of my Alternanthera Reineckii.

It was doing OK but was quite condensed.

I gently removed the whole plant form the substrate and noticed a little algae so treated with 3% hydrogen peroxide while out. (Have done this before with success).

After teasing the stems apart I replanted slightly further apart.

Sadly the whole plant seems to be melting and most of the leaves are now nearly transparent.

Am I too late to save it and is there anything I can do?

Before and after below.

6f97bae3d9f68d7d9284608a82e80a9a.jpg
fcbe1083342fb1819cd6240532971ee4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres not much you can do to save the already melting leaves. If the stems survive, you should get healthy new growth from the top. Just trim and replant that.

Oscar

Thanks Oscar,

Upon close inspection I can see some pinky red leaves still hanging in there. I’ll have a trim up and remove the dead leaves and see what happens.

The plant was nearly out of the tank a few weeks back and very healthy.

I have since had a trim and introduced pressurised co2. Both seem to have had a negative effect on this particular plant.

Last straw was splitting the stems.

Will persevere with it.

I gently removed the whole plant form the substrate and noticed a little algae so treated with 3% hydrogen peroxide while out. (Have done this before with success).

What was the timeline on this?
Treatment details?

Was plant submerse form during both treatments?

At this point, if you’re going to move plant again, I’d separate all the stem so they’re not touching - physical contact of melting leaves is “contagious”

What substrate are you using?
Did stems have good root growth when you pulled them up?

Water column fertilization?

What was the timeline on this?
Treatment details?

Was plant submerse form during both treatments?

At this point, if you’re going to move plant again, I’d separate all the stem so they’re not touching - physical contact of melting leaves is “contagious”

What substrate are you using?
Did stems have good root growth when you pulled them up?

Water column fertilization?

I removed the whole plant from the tank on Saturday. Treated with hydrogen peroxide directly to the leaves while outside the water.

Teased the stems apart and replanted.

So the decline has occurred in roughly two days.

I have also noticed some browning of of my crypts so I wonder if I have too much light?

I’m dosing aquascaper complete by evolution aqua for the first time too. I don’t know if I’m over dosing maybe? I may stop for a few days. I’ve gone from no ferts to 10-15 ml per day so maybe too much too soon.

I’m trying to work with my co2 injection.

Treated with hydrogen peroxide directly to the leaves while outside the water.
:wideyed: this isn’t a remedy that many submerse leafs will tolerate

Emerse leaf is different as most have a relatively hydrophobic (thin layer) “coating” that will protect leaf structure from drying out, provide structure (most submerse leafs are very “soft” compared to the emerse leaf), limits contact of nasties such as peroxide, bleach, glutaraldehyde ... algae “sitting” on leaf is impacted while actual leaf remains relatively untouched

How long have you had the plant?
Was it a pot with good root growth or a stem bunch?

:wideyed: this isn’t a remedy that many submerse leafs will tolerate

Emerse leaf is different as most have a relatively hydrophobic (thin layer) “coating” that will protect leaf structure from drying out, provide structure (most submerse leafs are very “soft” compared to the emerse leaf), limits contact of nasties such as peroxide, bleach, glutaraldehyde ... algae “sitting” on leaf is impacted while actual leaf remains relatively untouched

That would explain my problems with my microsorum as well as I applied the same treatment and the leaves melted.

My java fern was ok but is hardy.

I will learn from my mistakes and work hard to re-establish the plants.

Thank you for the information, very helpful.

How long have you had the plant?
Was it a pot with good root growth or a stem bunch?

It was in a pot with good root structure.

I’ve had it for 6 months. I now understand that the way I treated with hydrogen peroxide was wrong and most likely caused the issue.

I’m going to work on trimming back now and promoting some strong growth.

Alternanthera Reineckii

seems to need moderate CO2 and a good balance of fertilizers for healthy leaves - fairly often I tend to notice it looking OK but not thriving
If it survives, you should see stronger leaf structure now you’ve added CO2

Try not to mess about with it until it’s well recovered

Back