• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Grendel's DIY ADA 90P

UPDATE:

So, I used some hot glue, some knitting mesh, and some foam to do this...
mesh%20islands.jpg

Then I hit the LFS and grabbed a few random plants so I could get to this...
mesh%20islands2.jpg

Obviously not fully planted (and what's here clearly needs to grow in), but this shows the basic idea I'm shooting for. On the big island there's some Monte Carlo along the front, some staurogyne behind it, and some r. rotundifolia at the back. I'll still need to get the rest of the plants I want to try this way (riccia, lysimachia, some hydrocotyle sp., some moss, etc.) and I need some stuff for the substrate (anubias nana or coffeefolia, l. mauritius, etc.) but this is a start.

Questions, comments, critiques all welcome. Thanks for looking!

Great Idea....for the islands!.....:thumbup:
Love the hardscape arrangement.
Thanks.

Not totally sure this will work out like I want - for example, will humidity be an issue? I'm in a quite dry part part of the States and I'm worried some of the emergent growth I'm hoping for might need more moisture in the air than I can provide. Also, I'm relying on glutaraldehyde for carbon instead of CO2 - how much will that limit the growth of the plants?

So: unsure, but hopeful.

Hi
You could try spraying the emersed plants with fresh tap water!
I'm not sure on the Liquid Carbon front....most people have good results using it for submerged growth!
hoggie

Hi all,
Thanks.

Not totally sure this will work out like I want - for example, will humidity be an issue? I'm in a quite dry part part of the States and I'm worried some of the emergent growth I'm hoping for might need more moisture in the air than I can provide. Also, I'm relying on glutaraldehyde for carbon instead of CO2 - how much will that limit the growth of the plants?

So: unsure, but hopeful.
You should be alright on the humidity front initially, while the plants are low above the water. As they grow away from the water you may have to spray them daily? to avoid brown leaf edges.

CO2 and liquid carbon are irrelevant to plants with emergent leaves, they have access to 400 ppm of atmospheric CO2.

Cheers Darrel

I'm in a quite dry part part of the States
I looked at your profile ... Colorado ... I suspect you'll need to spray - or can you add a fogger (I was looking for a small internal filter in the reptile section :D ) & have it run at short intervals through the day/night?

House heating will also "dry" the air (unless water radiators or in-floor)

UPDATE:

FTS
File_001%201.jpg

Top of tank
File_000%201.jpg

I added some c. spiralis and isoetes sp. to the right side, and some a. nana to the rocks. REALLY kicking myself for that choice now too - I had chosen to go with a. coffeefolia but at the last second switched to the nana because I was worried the coffeefolia would get too large... Clearly I now have the opposite problem and the nana just looks tiny and insignificant. Aw well - here's hoping it fills in well.

You can also see that I switched out my hook/island combos for a raft attached to the driftwood. That's because the hooks ended up wicking water up over the top edge of the tank and down the back side, and I was delighted to find a couple gallons of water creeping out around the edges of the stand. The water went right down into the subfloor too, causing the wood floor boards to cup up pretty severely. Been running a fan and dehumidifier non-stop for the past week in the hopes that it will revert to normal eventually. Didn't even think it possible for the water to defy gravity like that, but the hooks must have gotten water under them and been just snug enough to create that wicking action.

Anyway, I also added plants to the raft: utricularia, hydrocotyle, ranunculus, and some h. pinnatifida. All plants that should do OK and look cool emersed. For some reason the existing plants have been really struggling. The rotala and staurogyne will do great for a couple days and then any good new growth will just fade and the cycle will repeat. Right now I'm thinking I need to up my fert dosing a bit, but I'm not exactly sure what else to consider.

I tossed in a couple fish last week as well. I went with black neons so they'd stand out against the lighter background and thus far I'm really pleased. They look robust, school well, and have a great glow to them when they're under the LEDs. I added five but will eventually get to 15 or so. Also added a couple otos - one went belly up right away even after a couple hours of drip acclimation, but the other seems pretty happy. Waiting for weather to be a bit warmer before ordering in some dicrossus and cories.

As always, feedback, thoughts, questions, etc. are all appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

UPDATE:
Loooooooong overdue, too. Had quite a few ups and downs, including a bit of a fairly recent die off which forced me to scavenge as many tiny scraps of the plants as I could and nurse them slowly back to health in my 10G emersed setup over the course of 3-4 months. Eventually I had enough to reset the top island (with a couple new additions), which is just new settling in and looking better IMO. The pothos has been divided and is thriving now, plus I added an anthurium sp., dracaena, and an emersed sword (from a local big-box pet store) to some kitchen caddy planters that are hanging on the back glass. Finally starting to seem a bit more like the overhanging riverbank I've been shooting for all along.

In addition, I got my dicrossus filamentosus finally! I was putting off ordering fish until summer was over, then I had to wait until the tank was back in shape... And in the interim I just happened upon these guys at the LFS during an awesome Black Friday sale and pounced. They were so tiny I was worried they wouldn't make it but they seem to be doing great. Can't wait for them to mature and color up a bit.

At any rate, here are some current pics. Enjoy! (And any feedback you have is appreciated!)

FTS
m8xUkoc.jpg

5z0izs9.jpg

NEW FISH
HBvRPSr.jpg

BEST VIEW IN THE HOUSE
LIvKZsw.jpg

UPDATE:

Added some new fish: more black neons + two farlowellas. Everybody seems to be doing great thus far, so keeping fingers crossed that they keep on keeping on...

wuIN93G.jpg

LLHZGba.jpg

The island...
twVFqR8.jpg

This water lettuce was three leaves total a couple weeks ago - now, it's this on both ends of the island...
82yK12c.jpg

I really love the way the lobelia cardinalis is growing in. It starts this nice maroon, then greens up as it comes in...
CiEvfXL.jpg

CrRJgZp.jpg

Next steps: want to add some ficus pumila and spathiphyllum "petite" to the emersed planters, plus some sort of corydoras and otocinclus to the fish team...

As always, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

27D9C86C-121B-483B-AD75-3731E7832CB1.jpeg
Beautiful emerse growth and I love farlowella, on my list for the tank when it’s ready.
Here’s my sons.....

This is a really beautiful tank , love the floating rafts too , you must be really pleased
Cheers. It's been a struggle, but I actually am now!

Beautiful emerse growth and I love farlowella, on my list for the tank when it’s ready.
Here’s my sons.....
Thanks - and that's a wonderful photo! Mine are such wee little things right now but hopefully they can grow into that...

lki8FwL.jpg

Amano shrimp + otos added today. And while some cories would be great, I think I might be done at this point. Tank seems appropriately active and full, and I worry a little about going overboard.

Never had shrimp before - they're like little machines moving across the substrate/wood! I worried for a minute that my curious dicrossus were going to try their hand (fin?) at shrimp-snacks, but they seem to have figured out they're not food at this point...

I’ve not kept dicrossus but other dwarf chiclids certainly snack on smaller shrimp like cherry shrimp. Amanos tend to get too big to be on the menu, should be fine.

Love the set up, emergant growth is really nice. Provides a very natural feel for the fish. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back