• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snails in Fishless Cycling Aquarium

IvanK

Hi All,

Just figured out that there are snails in my fishless cycling aquarium. I started cycling it 15 days ago, then was the point when I planted it as wll.
I Have been adding dry fish food every now and then, this evening I saw these little fellows. Any idea what they are and where they come from? I can aslo see little tiny creatures, believe these are dafnia.
THanks in advance! Cheers!
Ivan

Attachments

• 20230203_201902.jpg
    20230203_201902.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 156
  • 20230203_200907.jpg
    20230203_200907.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
The snails would have come in as eggs attached to your plants.
No need to add fish food for the cycle, it’ll happen by itself and will only feed the snails.
I have read a lot and this is something I have not understood yet - how is amonia gpong to rise if there is nothing to produce it? That is why I am adding fish food (commonly recommended, but maybe not au h a good idea).
Here are my plants in the very beginning of the cycle, 15 days ago, and here are they now:

Attachments

• 20230118_010043.jpg
    20230118_010043.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
  • 20230203_204934.jpg
    20230203_204934.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 80
15 days ago, and here are they now:
Nice progress. I would have added more plants. You can greatly accelerate the maturing of the tank with more fast growing plants - which you can always replace or yank out when the tank settles in. Otherwise, you don't have to add or do anything other than water changes.
how is amonia gpong to rise if there is nothing to produce it?
Anything organic in your tank that decays and decompose will give rise to ammonia - and nature will run its cause. Don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I have read a lot and this is something I have not understood yet - how is amonia gpong to rise if there is nothing to produce it?
You don't need to add ammonia. These aren't the nitrifying microorganisms you are looking for. They can go about their business.
Move along…

Nice progress. I would have added more plants. You can greatly accelerate the maturing of the tank with more fast growing plants - which you can always replace or yank out when the tank settles in. Otherwise, you don't have to add or do anything other than water changes.

Anything organic in your tank that decays and decompose will give rise to ammonia - and nature will run its cause. Don't worry about it.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks, Michael,
I am adding some more plants and elements to the scape tomorrow, and after that will just let it be for a couple of weeks. If the plants go on blooming, will add fish mid Feb 🙂

Hi all,
Looks like a type of Ramshorn snail - efficient little cleaners. They can and will breed
I'm a <"Ramshorn snail (Planorbella duryi) fan">.
You don't need to add ammonia. These aren't the nitrifying microorganisms you are looking for.
I have read a lot and this is something I have not understood yet - how is amonia gpong to rise if there is nothing to produce it?
That is it, you don't need <"high levels of ammonia (NH3)"> or carbonate hardness (dKH), because the bacteria that require them aren't actually found in Aquarium filters. You just need to plant the tank and wait.

There is a much fuller discussion in <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">.

cheers Darrel

Cheers, Darrel!
Right, the new plants are bought, will arange them in a bit, now just placed in the aquarium 🙂

Attachments

• 20230204_152224.jpg
    20230204_152224.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 80
Cheers, Darrel!
Right, the new plants are bought, will arange them in a bit, now just placed in the aquarium 🙂
What’s the plant label say on that tall one with big leaves? It looks remarkably like a terrestrial plant to me.

Now, looking at the colour of the new plants, I start thinking my old ones may need some fertiliser.

Now, looking at the colour of the new plants, I start thinking my old ones may need some fertiliser.
Yes, you want to fertilize from day one... If you dont use one yet, get a good All In One fertilizer such as TNC Complete or Tropica Specialized and just follow the instructions.

Also you may want to check on that pink dinosaur in your tank - I haven't seen it move between yesterdays picture and the picture from today :lol:

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Yes, you want to fertilize from day one... If you dont use one yet, get a good All In One fertilizer such as TNC Complete or Tropica Specialized and just follow the instructions.

Also you may want to check on that pink dinosaur in your tank - I haven't seen it move between yesterdays picture and the picture from today :lol:

Cheers,
Michael
Michael, thanks for the advice! I am quite a new to the propper way of fish keeping (and plants keeping) so... learn on the go. Btw, under the sand there a 13 kg of Tropica Aquasoil, so I believe that helps 🙂 Nevertheless, I purchased a fertiliser in a bottle 🙂
On another matter... that pink dude is concerns me a bit... he never moves, never does anything at all in fact! Well... he may be sleeping - it's winter after all...
Anyway, I helped him move under a shed, just so he's feeling a bit more comfortable.
Cheers
Ivan

Last edited:
Back