• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Measured temperature vs thermostat setting

Chris_Homan

I have a 90 liter tank, that’s heated by an 100W Aquael Heater. I also tested the same setup with a 200W Nicrew heater. Both heaters had the thermostat set to 28 degrees but my thermometers show a range from 22 to 24 degrees. I use an ADA glass thermometer but have also tested with digital thermometers in various locations around the tank.

I have a breeding pair of German rams (but fry-eating) and they like higher temperatures so I really want to get the temperature right. I’m worried that if I set the thermostat higher, e.g. 33 degrees, it may cause problems.

Any thoughts? Rely on the thermostat or the thermometers?

but my thermometers show a range from 22 to 24 degrees. I use an ADA glass thermometer but have also tested with digital thermometers in various locations around the tank.
I've got three electronic thermostats and seven thermometers and all display different temperatures within a 2.5° range apart from the ADA glass thermometer which is a full 2° lower than all the rest, so I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

Temperature is tricky - and I had the same issue. The only way I came close to comfort was to use a food meter, calibrate it, and then use that as a yardstick against other readings. I mixed this approach with an Inkbird Temperature Controller, which has two probes and would complain if one was outside of a tolerance to the other. Even though this is not foolproof, my calibrated food temperature meter was very close to the dual probe Inkbird Controller.

The other thing to consider is that heaters can only raise the temperature so much based on the outside temperature. For example, with the Oase Heat-Ups, 100W would heat the water about 10 degrees more than the outside ambient temperature. If my ambient temperature was really, really cold, then it would require a 200W heater (or two heaters) to sustain that water temperature. So I would check that your room temperature for your 100W is => 18 degrees, so that the heater can make it to 28 degrees and sustain.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 08.25.34.png

Hi all,
I have a 90 liter tank, that’s heated by an 100W Aquael Heater.
The other thing to consider is that heaters can only raise the temperature so much based on the outside temperature. For example, with the Oase Heat-Ups, 100W would heat the water about 10 degrees more than the outside ambient temperature.
I don't know how warm your house is (our is cool), but I think @Bradders is right and you might need a larger capacity heater.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I think the slight problem here is due to the breeding temperature -
Agreed, I actually like the temperature in the tanks to vary a few degrees throughout the year.

In terms of breeding Dwarf Cichlids, if <"they spawn in the summer"> (when the water is warmer) that is actually to my advantage, I have <"more live food"> to condition the fish with and more live food to feed any fry.

If I raised Baby Brine Shrimp, green water and Paramecium on a regular basis? That would be much less important (and temperature much more important).

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
If you can't tell from the heater, you can get an electricity monitor plug (goes between the appliance plug and the wall plug) and that will tell you whether the heater is drawing power (heating) or just sat idol.

If it's a lack of power - have you tried running both heaters at the same time set to the correct temp?

Thanks all! That was brilliant feedback. I think the issue must be the heater capacity. As the room temperature goes down to 15 degrees, it was too much for the heaters to go to 28 degrees. The tank being open top probably made it all worse.

I have now both heaters in my tank; 300W combined. The temperature is now almost 27 degrees which is close enough for now.

Back