• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank cover ?

Loolu

Seedling
I’m an absolute beginner and have decided to get the Superfish scaper 90 fo my first tank. It fits the area nicely.
The only thing I’m concerned about is it has no lid/cover. I’m sure I need one as we have 2 very hairy dogs and an autistic granddaughter who will go fishing.
I’ve searched for a cover but don’t seem to be able to find one.
Any ideas where I could get one from ?
Thanks

Hi Loolu,

I also have 2 dogs (Huskies, so hair everywhere!) so feel your pain. For my tanks I've used the tank clips you get off Amazon and went to a local glass cutter to get a fitted glass top.

Links for the clips are here: https://amzn.eu/d/5WWncyG

You can get the size relevant to thickness of your glass aquarium.

Works great for me, I've also used silicone to place a little handle for easy lifting of the lid. This also helps with evaporation and fish jumping, without looking too obstructive.

Last edited:
I have a tank with a rim, and used plastic polycarbonate twinwall sheeting (4mm thick) to make a lid.
Cheap, easy to cut custom holes for pipes, airline tube, emergent plants, feeding etc.
But lightweight (unlikely dog-proof) and gets algae inside the twinwall so can get unsightly (until I get in there with the pipe cleaner).
Glass will look nicer I bet :)

That's a good suggestion for fitting a glass cover which will block easy access to the water, but I would have a poke at some tanks in a fish shop and see if that's going to give you the sort of access restriction that will meet your needs.

Those type of tanks are really aimed at people that want open top. There is a very wide range of hooded aquariums that can give you a lid with a better seal and sometimes coverpanes under that too. If you don't already have a tank I'd be inclined to look at one with a lid than to retrofit. If you've children around that may be tempted to feed the fish themselves or pop things in the water a bit more protection might be in order. The lid clips are designed to just rest a piece of glass on so fine so an adult being careful but you don't want a child lifting out a lid misaligning it and then dropping it in the tank or on the floor. It also means lights are hidden under the hood so switches and hot areas have the extra protection.

Back