• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rate My HardScape

Ok to show planting I have colored in the area that i intend using Utricularia graminifolia. The rest will be densely planted with appropriate plants in varying heights (tallest at the back) so the tall rock structure will be 3/4 covered up from the front.

foreground.jpg

Does make more sense of my rock work. Or am I completely on the wrong track.

Everyones advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

I will post a list of other plants I plan on using when I have the 'final' list completed.

dave

Hi Dave,

I say go for it, if you like it. You say you don't follow rules, so that's great.

It's relatively easy and 'safe' to follow the guidelines set out by the Nature Aquarium concepts to acheive an attractive design, so layouts that differ, and work, can be very refreshing.

If it doesn't work, then at least you've learnt a lot along the way. Rarely do first-time aquascapers come up with a stunning layout (although it's happening more with the info and advice now available).

One word of caution; Utricularia graminifolia is notoriously tricky, especially in new set-ups. I can count on one hand the number of aquascapes where I've seen it being used successfully.

Good luck!

Cheers George,

Not finally decided on it. But I am swaying towards doing it this way. Not going to make any hasty decisions at this point.

You say the Utricularia graminifolia is difficult to get right. Can you suggest any alternative for a nice 'carpet' that is less tricky.

Dave

Would Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' be more suitable?

Dave

one more to no UG :D
too hard. easily to lost all the plants in few days or 1-2 weeks if you do not have everything which is required for this plant.

additionally to HC, Glosso is an option too, or another plant which is not too common in tanks Marsilea hirsuta.
but from most of the carpet plants probably Eleocharis parvula is the easiest.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Mmmmm do like Eleocharis parvula. Will consider this as a foreground. Would look lovely.

Dave

Latest small move round. Going to plant heavily at back right for approx 2/3rds of the length. So tall rock structure will only being showing approx 1/4 of the top through planting. Hopefully!

pic2nq.jpg

pic1nt.jpg

Further to planting. I intend to use vallisneria nana along the back. Still working on the midground.

Dave

Improving all the time, if it were me, i would tilt the rock on the right, the tallest one, to me it looks very un-natural at the mo,

good luck

I know what you mean. I will try to get it to lean over a bit.

Dave

Back