• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Legalities of non-native plants?

mr. luke

Well I have a few trips planned for 2010 and i always find some cracking things whilst im away (got some 'mini mystery snails' from malta :thumbup: )
So I was just wandering, is it in breach of any rules to bring back aquatic plants and mosses?
If so, is there any way I can make it legal without to much cost involved?
I intend to bring back some mosses anyway, but it would be nice if it was all above board :lol:

I do not know the answer to this, but I suspect you have to check both the export laws of the country you are holidaying in and the English import laws.

I collected about 50 different moss species from the Andean mountains this time last year (one of the best days of the holiday that was!), and found that I could not get them out of Peru without an export license. So I binned the mosses. Then a week later found someone with an export license, by which point I was a few hundred miles away from the mosses :rolleyes:

Like you though if it was just a small amount I would just stick it in the luggage and cross my fingers. :shifty:

Samc that is a genius idea :D
I got the mini mysteries home in bottled water :oops:
I might look into liscencing etc, but if i just collect tiny samples then they may aswell go in my luggage or shoes :lol:

There are two things I think you would need to be aware of here, firstly is the wildlife and countryside act 1981, which prohibits the spread of certain plants in the wild, this list is however only four plants at the moment none of which would interest an aquascaper. The list (its schedule 9) is being amended but again really only to include those plants that are already very invasive in the UK like parrots feather. This also assumes that you release it into the wild, which I'm sure you wouldn't :)

The second aspect would be border control, I would assume that any living thing you brought in would have to be declared at customs. You may need special licences to bring in non-native plants.

Hope that helps

Sam

Hi, you definitely cant bring anything live from outside EU, no plants, no wood etc.
I had lost a huge sack of wood taken by the customs on my way back from brazil, just got unlucky to be picked up from the crowd for a luggage check (they are very serious about drugs from south america).
I had some plants they didnt find though. They handed me the booklets, i think you can find that on the web with the complete list of prohibited items.
About the wood it says that you cant bring any unprocessed wood from outside the EU, and from EU you can bring only 5 pieces up to 1m lenght.
I personally dont see anything bad about bringing some wood or plants from anywhere around the world, because i know that it will be used by me and definitely wont get into the wild here. But they have to show that they are working there dont they. I still have nightmares about that wood :( and how it would be nice to have it. I wander how all the rest of the wood gets into the lfses. :woot:

Hi Piece-of-fish
I think one of the biggest problems for UK Customs/Department of Agriculture is not so much the wood itself but the bugs it may be carrying.
Piece-of-fish said:
I wander how all the rest of the wood gets into the lfses.
They would have to be sterilised, using Gamma radiation to kill all the bugs. Not something us fish/plant keepers would be inclined to do.

I was held by Sydney customs when a misplaced apple rolled out of my luggage, sniffer dogs the lot- the apple was seized and my life as an international smuggler was over. I think we all have a duty of care not to embarrass ourselves in this way.

I think ill give it a try.
I deffinately wont be releasing plants into the wild, any that i ever have to throw away will be boiled or burned.
Worst thats likely to happen is a slapped wrist and a ruckus at checkin :lol:

Back