• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

220L Tall, low tech

Muel

Seedling
Hey all figured I would start a journal for this tank too. It's not a month old yet so would be nice to track its progress.

Filter - Some micro thing with its media taken out just for water movement.
Lighting - 2 x 25w T8
Substrate - John Innes number 3 topped with gravel
Heater - 300W JAD (making a whistling sound when its on so going to buy a new one asap lol)
Stocking - 6 Black Phantom tetra, 1 Apple snail, MTS, 1 Ninja shrimp. Intending on adding some red cherry shrimp soon.
Plants - A tiny bit of Eleocharis acicularis, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Echinodorus tennelus, Echinodorus cordifolius, Aponogeton madagascariensis, Sagittaria subulata, Limnobium laevigatum.

Not really too much aquascaping planning done. Just went for a tall end and a shorter end for plant height :lol:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4989/sam0124j.jpg

Muel

Tall, 200+l, low tech. I feel your pain ;)

I suspect the cognoscenti will tell you to go hi tech, but keep the faith. I'm really chuffed with how easy low tech seems so far, and I've got a similar tank. That said, my guess is you'll want a bigger pump, and probably external.

Are you planning any more wood or rocks?
What are the really broad leafed and small round leafed plants. I like them both.

Yeah its a pain ain't it. Ehinodorus cordifolius is the big one. Will be beasts when they get going ;) Smaller one is Hydrocotyle leucocephala, which can be grown as a floater also I reckon?

To be honest I did have a big external but it packed in when I was setting this tank up so I decided to steer towards the Walstad method. Will probably get an external if I see a decent second hand one but other than that not really bothered since I intend on keeping stocking quite low. Still not sure what to stock it with yet but thats another story. Thinking of just wacking cherry shrimp in lol.

I'm moving house in the next couple of months and this tank is staying put here. So trying to go for a setup that will require only water top-offs.

Back