• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

All in one aquarium recommendation?

pollyandpear

Does anyone know of any good all in one aquariums (that include a filter, heather and light (ideally a light that goes from day to night) that is around 70 litres (could go a big bigger) and under £150?

Super fish tanks look pretty decent for the money

See: Superfish Scaper 90 Litre Aquarium Set
I have one of these and have to say I’m quite happy with it. Glass is very clear, the light is growing all my plants nicely. Doesn’t come with a heater but it only needs a 100W for that size tank.

The HOB filter is quite noisy with the included cartridges (think it’s air getting pushed through or something) but you could dump them out for sponges and ceramic noodles. Or fit a canister filter which is what I did but that stops being ‘all-in-one’ I suppose. I’m still using the HOB filter but with just plants in it at the moment and it’s pretty much inaudible.

I don’t think you could do better than a JUWEL Rio. Pre-loved ones on eBay are often decent value for money. You just need to do your homework and select a good one that meets your needs.

I hate to hinder your enthusiasm, but in my country, the shared wisdom is this: No matter what you choose, in time you'll find some components missing or unsatisfactory. Then you may face the problem with adding anything to a set which was meant to be complete.
Therefore, the wisdom says, you'd better build your system with future flexibility in mind.
I'm in this hobby for many years, but despite that (and due to my curious nature, admittedly) I quite often change something in the technical equipment. Right now, for example, I wonder what effect could have an increased water flow in some of my tanks.

I hate to hinder your enthusiasm, but in my country, the shared wisdom is this: No matter what you choose, in time you'll find some components missing or unsatisfactory. Then you may face the problem with adding anything to a set which was meant to be complete.
Therefore, the wisdom says, you'd better build your system with future flexibility in mind.
I'm in this hobby for many years, but despite that (and due to my curious nature, admittedly) I quite often change something in the technical equipment. Right now, for example, I wonder what effect could have an increased water flow in some of my tanks.

While you’re not wrong, it’s easier to get started with an all in one system. It also quickly teaches you about what you do and don’t need. £150 is not much money really, and while wasteful you could certainly learn a thing or two with any of the systems suggested 👍

Totally get what you mean about all in ones - the only reason I mentioned it is because my filter, light and heater are all playing up in my tank so sort of feels like if I am going to go nd buy all those serpately I could invest in a single unit.

I would 'haunt' ebay and Facebook marketplace. There are lots of 'full' systems for sale secondhand at your price range atm. I have seen some high end systems that are 12 months old or in somecases never used at particularly low prices.

Totally get what you mean about all in ones - the only reason I mentioned it is because my filter, light and heater are all playing up in my tank so sort of feels like if I am going to go nd buy all those serpately I could invest in a single unit.
If you're happy with the tank I'd spend the money on replacing your equipment. Doesn't have to be new (all of my filters are secondhand) but you could get higher end secondhand stuff for the price of new budget equipment. Manufacturers typically cut costs on all in one packages by including budget equipment.

I would 'haunt' ebay and Facebook marketplace. There are lots of 'full' systems for sale secondhand at your price range atm. I have seen some high end systems that are 12 months old or in somecases never used at particularly low prices.
I think I would agree with that. There is some human bias that second-hand means "damaged" rather than "previously used". There is, of course, buyer-beware and a limited warranty.

For a smallish tank I really like the aquariums with a full width built in filter, like the Aqua One Aquanano 40. Theres lots out there, they look great and theres lots of room for filter media. The Fluval Spec is similar in that regard. Also having a weir helps reduce surface scum in the same way a skimmer would function.

The only issue I have with my wee tank is the small size of the pump fittings means theres no way of fitting an improved spray bar etc. The divider is plastic so that would have been easy done when it was totally empty.

Is this your first time in aquariums?

For a smallish tank I really like the aquariums with a full width built in filter, like the Aqua One Aquanano 40. Theres lots out there, they look great and theres lots of room for filter media. The Fluval Spec is similar in that regard. Also having a weir helps reduce surface scum in the same way a skimmer would function.

The only issue I have with my wee tank is the small size of the pump fittings means theres no way of fitting an improved spray bar etc. The divider is plastic so that would have been easy done when it was totally empty.
I agree I like the look of those too, but I seem to have found my feet with 70litres so wouldn’t want to go much more or less for the time being!
Is this your first time in aquariums?

Yep!

Well I got my first tank a year ago and have been reporting my trials and tribulations on here. Long story but I seem to have finally find my feet with this 70 litre tank.

Probably even pick up an Oase style line for that price. They don’t seem like bad tanks for the money.
Can’t fault this one. I’ve the 175 version which comes with internal filter with built in heater and 2 LED tubes and cabinet. I’m owning it for about 3 years and only regret I have is that I should go with bigger one 😁

I like the look of those too, but I seem to have found my feet with 70litres so wouldn’t want to go much more or less for the time being!
There are 100l (aquanano 60) and 130l (aquanano 80) versions.
I've got 2 aquanano 40s and 1 aquanano 60. Personally I don't like the built in filter. It's good for hiding equipment but hard to access for maintenance. So I cut them out, gaining a bit of depth.

I bought a new old stock Jewel rekord 70 (that's a primo 70 now) for £90.00 from my local pet shop 2 years ago
I'm very pleased with it and would happily buy another juwel tank in the future
The built in filter runs very quietly

Back