• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another stupid question...this time ferts

Kaliilo

Hi all
Sorry for spamming the forum with stupid questions, although ive always had fish tanks this is the first time ive ever done it 'properly' so a lot of the stuff goes over my head.
Ive been looking at the calculators and reading through the forum but im a little confused with ferts.
I am using TNC complete and I have TNC Fe (DTPA)
When I put this in the calculator it tells me how much to dose but I dont know what my target is or how often. How often should I dose the TNC complete and how often should I dose the Iron? Can they be done together? What am I aiming for?

Tanks are:
22l low tech (okay light, no co2, aquasoil) with a mixture of ephiphytes and fast growers (all 'easy' plants) with just shrimp
64l is unstocked at present, again low tech, only ephi is Java Fern, the rest are fast growing stem plants and floaters.
Both lights are on for about 8hrs (depends when I wake up lol)
Both are currently hard tap water but the 64l will be moving to 50/50 tap and spotless water before livestock (dunno if this makes a difference, I assume so as less minerals in the water)
Please explain simply as I still dont really grasp all the methods or abbreviations (sorry)

Thanks AGAIN
Amy

I'm sure the authors of the calculator @Zeus. or @Hanuman will be along shortly and answer your query.
In the meantime, there is no such thing as a stupid question, and we're all here to help one another out, so no need to apologise :)

I would start off with a low dose, the recommendation on the bottle is 1ml per 10 litres a week, so 2ml and 6ml for your tanks and see how that goes, chances are you will be fine at this dosage.

The iron I would leave for now unless you see any iron deficiencies appearing.

I would start off with a low dose, the recommendation on the bottle is 1ml per 10 litres a week, so 2ml and 6ml for your tanks and see how that goes, chances are you will be fine at this dosage.

The iron I would leave for now unless you see any iron deficiencies appearing.

I agree with @Nick potts the TNC complete by itself should be enough esp with a low tech setup. If you wish to be extra sure just dose a bit more. With low tech setups dosing once a week is enough and Fe DTPA isnt as critical even with hard water. Just watch the plants ;)

Back