• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Apistogramma agassizi

bnz

Seedling
I've recently added a pair of these to my 6o odd L community which consists of some ember tetras, some nannostomus beckfordi, some cherry shrimp and a few assassin snails.

To cut a long story short they've already spawned in a hollow under my bog wood. I was wondering if anyone has an experience raising the fry?

I'm a relative newby to fish keeping in general but I like to think I have a decent level of theoretical knowledge. Is just a matter of keeping the tank spotless and keeping on top of the water changes? I have an internal filter so I take it i'll need to ensure they don't get sucked in somehow, maybe some tights over the filter? I need to figure out what to feed the fry too, thinking small brine shrimp? Also should I keep on dosing my easy carbo and tpn+ ? I assume so since they've spawned.

Not sure on the effect of dosing and co2, but I always just left my aggassizi to it when they spawned in my old community tank... normally most of the fry got eaten/died, but generally a few from each spawn would make it. If they're anything like mine they'll probably spawn every month or so, so unless you particulalry want to be overrun with fry I'd let nature take its course.

Hi all,
The females are very protective, and I don't think any of your fish should be too much of a problem, although Beckford's is more predatory than most Pencils. The adults will eat your shrimps, once they get a taste for them.

Have a look here for tank details for Apistogramma, you need to keep up with the water changes but some biofilm helps fry survival: <http://dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php>

I always have a sponge on the intake of all my filters, again details here:
<http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=15341>

cheers Darrel

Back