• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Better internal filter for low-tech Korall 60

Whitebeam

Daughter #1 wants a fish tank and, as she's supposed to look after this one herself, I want to run it as low tech as I can.

I have bought a Juwel Korall 60 (I guess about 45-ish litres of water allowing for substrate and not filling to the brim etc). My only concern is that it comes with a very simple internal filter with one filter sponge and a 270l/hr pump. This feels too low to me and feels likely to limit both stocking levels and plant health quite considerably. I see three options:

0) Keep it as it is, its fine.
1) Replace the pump head with a Juwel 400l/hr unit I have laying around.
2) Get a better internal filter.

Any advice appreciated. BTW, if you vote for Option 2 you have to suggest the better filter make and model and it has to fit into a water column of the order of 25cm high ;)

Peter

dw1305 said:
I'd either by an Eheim aquaball as an internal if you want an off the shelf option
Thanks for the reply Darrel. You've prompted me to dig into the Eheim range a bit further and I've spotted the "Biopower 160" - an Aquaball of the right size for the Korall but with the bio media used in the externals. Would this be an even better option?

Peter

Just found the Biopower 160 for £26.22 + p&p from Aquatics Online. I'll get it and put in a handful of mature SUBSTRATpro from the Pro3-350 filter on the main tank - that should get the new tank cycle off to a flying start. Cheers for your help.

Peter

Back