• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bottom feeders

Geraint

I’ve used about 12kg of Unipac Black Micro Gravel on top of my JBL nutrient substrate for my first ever tank (50 gallon, 3 foot long). I picked this gravel because the smaller sized grains seem to be what’s recommended for plants, and it looks nice and more natural than the more larger gravel types, and the plants are growing fine. However, now that I’ve reached the stage where I’m planning the fish load, I have a concern.

I’ve read that you cant keep bottom feeding fish with sharp edged gravel.

As this is my first tank, I’m not sure if the type of gravel I have is suitable. The edges do look sharp, however not sharp enough to cut or even mark me when squeezed. I could probably walk over it without any bother.
I’m not sure what it’s made of, as there’s no description on the bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of gravel and bottom feeders?
I was hoping to stock the tank with Corydoras pygmaeus and Bristlenose Pleco

Hope someone can help :)

Tim

can you tell me if your corries sift around in the micro gravel as they would do in sand. Have you noticed if it scratches them at all? whats the smallest corrie you've kept? I dont suppose you have a video on you tube with them in the gravel i could watch.

thanks.

Tim

can you tell me if your corries sift around in the micro gravel as they would do in sand. Have you noticed if it scratches them at all? whats the smallest corrie you've kept? I dont suppose you have a video on you tube with them in the gravel i could watch.

thanks.
Hi geraint, sorry I don't have any vids but I have kept various Corries over the 3 years I've kept fish from trillenatus to Pygmy on substrates from pea gravel to cat litter via florabase to unipac micro gravels /sands all in London tap water (hard) IMHO Corries will be fine if you keep a clean tank/substrate and it's not too sharp, keep on top of tank husbandry/ water changes but be aware to see them thrive they prefer soft water. I now only have a school of pygmy's purely because I can't catch the little buggers :lol: but they will hopefully make there way into a black waterish setup I have planned for next year.

In my opinion Corries are hardy fish, I rarely hear about damages to their barbels. I agree with time that the substrates he used should be fine for them. People should give some more credit to some of the fishes' hardiness, Corries are not armoured for nothing :D.

I've got Pygmy corries on Congo sand and they are fine. Also really really fun to watch!

Back