• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

can i use tropica soil instead of bio stratum for a terrarium

I would use it but would also add some charcoal, tree bark and spagnum moss or peat moss.

Yes absolutely John, aquasoils are great for terrariums as they drain well and have good circulation throughout.
As above some charcoal will help with filtering the water that runs through the soil and good drainage layer of something like leca will be beneficial too.

There’s no requirement to mix the soil with anything else if it’s a plant only terrarium.
Just clay based drainage layer / charcoal (aquarium stuff is fine) and then your aqua soil. (Obviously creating a divide between the clay and soil using mesh)

Just to add, I’m not disagreeing with the above when I say there’s no need to mix the soil with anything if it’s plants only,
What I mean is, if you don’t intend on adding any critters, like springtails and isopods, then bark and moss and leaf litter aren’t necessary.

Last edited:
@seedoubleyou This is my first time doing anything like this, just need something to go at until I get my rainbow tank set up, as you know, google is a minefield of mis/information, I do plan on keeping critters as a cuc and as food for the frogs, so this is my first thought, a layer of clay, mesh, mix my tropica soil with a bark and moss substrate and mix in some plantation mix aswell for my next layer, then top off with some sphagnum moss and leaves.
Is this overkill and am I overthinking it?

I’d personally keep it simple and just go for drainage layer, aqua soil, and then can throw in some bark bits and leaf litter which the critter will eat and in turn create plant food.

Or if you really wanted, purchase a small bag of Arcadia earth mix (it’s fairly cheap). This will then give you a complete substrate for your “bio active” terrarium.

I am currently making a small open terrarium myself to occupy me whilst setting up a tank, you can see how simple I’m keeping it by using only pea gravel and aqua soil.

(This won’t house springtails or isopods, or humidity loving plants)
E182B0EC-5551-4D9C-BCD4-D0C68AF91C6E.jpeg

I am currently making a small open terrarium myself to occupy me whilst setting up a tank, you can see how simple I’m keeping it by using only pea gravel and aqua soil.

(This won’t house springtails or isopods, or humidity loving plants)
View attachment 204281
Nice, I like the look of the stones, I think it will highlight the the green of the plants.
Anyway I've been busy putting a list together and have decided to go with an Exo Terra tree frog terrarium 45x45x60, I will start a journal of my build and see if anybody is interested, as its not really a terrarium frog keeping forum but it will have some tropical plants in it.

Nice, I like the look of the stones, I think it will highlight the the green of the plants.
Anyway I've been busy putting a list together and have decided to go with an Exo Terra tree frog terrarium 45x45x60, I will start a journal of my build and see if anybody is interested, as its not really a terrarium frog keeping forum but it will have some tropical plants in it.
If that’s the route you’re going then i definitely recommend clay drainage layer or large filter foam pad and the using Arcadia earth mix as your substrate rather than the aqua soil, this will be better long term if it’s going to house darts or other frogs.

You’ll also want a some leaf litter on the bottom which creates further habitat and will help in judging humidity. (Don’t use a hygrometer, they’re useless in humid vivaria)

Just to summarise if it’s a vivarium you’re building with the intention of housing frogs or lizards.
I’d firstly recommend researching which animal you intend to house and then building the system around them.

You’ll potentially require some form of misting system unless you plan on manually doing this.

Don’t create any Water features as they’re not ideal in vivariums especially if you house frogs that are actually poor swimmers like darts.

Substrate I’d recommend either filter pad or LECA (having a bulkhead at the bottom for drainage would be a good idea too)
Mesh layer
Then Arcadia earth mix or search for homemade APG (Arcadia is easier and more convenient)
Leaf litter will be essential too in a vivarium as it creates food source for micro fauna and aids in humidity.

You’ll need good ventilation too pc fans help with this but the Exo terra stuff usually have vents top and bottom.

You’ll also need to consider what you intend to feed and try to “escape proof” your system as small flies and crickets can escape and wander.

Dendroboard is a good US based forum for all things Viv related and the good folk on their have great knowledge and will instantly tell what you need and what you don’t.

Back