• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can't get rid of it!!

Tom1989

Seedling
I am fighting a constant battle with black hair algae and green algae on the glass and hardscape.
My tank is 260 litres
Eheim professional 3 2071
Aquamanta efx 300
Light is two t5's
No co2
And I don't use any ferts
I water change once a week 100 litres
Please help as I have no idea how to combat it
I've included some pics to see if they help

Hi all,
Welcome Tom, I'd suggest a small addition of nutrients. They aren't to every-ones taste, but Red Ramshorn snails offer a long term solution to BBA (long term because they stop establishment, but don't eat the mature tufts). Anubias leaves are a real BBA magnet, particularly if they are in bright light. I usually use floaters and Ceratopteris to reduce light levels.

Have a look at this post: <220 litres of failed ambitions - open to constructive criticism | Page 2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society>. What I aim for is slow plant growth, but with the plants definitely growing.

You don't have to go down the EI route, but you can use the "Duckweed index" <Low maintainence, long term sustrate | UK Aquatic Plant Society>

cheers Darrel

With two T5 bulb's,(54watt?) No CO2,I might consider reducing the lighting period to no more than eight hour's,raising light fixture above the tank further,or using something like floating plant's, to diffuse some of the light. If fixture is resting directly on the tank, maybe some window screen could be used to diffuse some excess light.
I too would be adding nutrient's,and would harrass,remove, the algae with whatever tool's I had, including critter's.

Any nutrients you would recommend? I have tried using limnobium laevigatum but it didn't grow.
I am unable to raise my light as its fixed. I have thought of using snails but my tank is s.a themed I've got 8 oto's in there but they don't seem to be able to cope with the amount!

Hi and welcome Tom, as Roadmaster says, I'd maybe spot dose the affected areas with liquid co2 and use a soft toothbrush to agitate and annoy the algae, spot dose with a shringe directly on the affected areas daily, I too have a 260 litre tank with fixed height lighting, I too am fighting algae but am presently winning the battle, my issue is flow/circulation as only have one external filter (am picking up a new additional filter today) I have CO2 and dose ei daily though which you aren't, I'm unable to advise you on what ferts to add if you're not going down the ei /co2 route but i'm sure someone will pop along and share their knowledge more than I can on this point.
I've been doing 2 x 130 litre water changes each week, spot dosing liquid co2 for 6 weeks and getting stuck in with the toothbrush as most of mine is or was on the bogwood with Anubias suffering too slightly.
You have 2 x external filters but is your flow ok? have toy any dead spots caused by hardscape like large rocks or wood? maybe a small powerhead could help if this is the case?
I'd deffo start with getting on it's nerves by attacking the stuff though, must be daily and it will shown signs of giving in.
Good luck

Back