• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Chihiros 90cm WRGB2 Pro Vs 120cm WRGB II, for 120cm length*60cm deep tank size

Chihiros 90cm WRGB2 Pro Vs 120cm WRGB II, for a 120cm length*60cm deep tank size ?

• Total voters

ljpramod

Hello,
Need help choosing the right light for my tank. My tank measures 120cm length * 60cm depth * 76cm width.
Considering these 2 light options:
Option1: Chihiros 90cm WRGB2 Pro.
Option2: Chihiros 120cm WRGB II .

Both are almost the same cost. Options 1 is shorter in length, but I read that the latest WRGB2 Pro model which is latest is more powerful and covers more depth.
Since my tank is 60cm deep, I am thinking it would be better to go with option1. Will 90cm light be sufficient for 120cm tank?

Or Should I go with option2 which is supposed the be comparatively less powerful but 120cm long same as my tank? Will it cover 60cm depth sufficiently?

Looking forward to your suggestions, I am a beginner in this area and would really appricate any help I could get.
Thanks!

WGRBII @ 120cm is "listed" as 130 Watts.
A bit confusing but it is supposed to be the "pro" version
Watts are 110.
Now watts isn't "par" nor "efficiency of diodes" but should be close assuming they source their diodes from one supplier.

Ok now their lumen #'s do show an increase from the II to pro
120II 7700 lumens
90 PRO 9250 lumens.

Now here is the catch.. that is lumens.
The lumen # of a blue led is very low but the par value is very high.
Since lumens weighs green-yellow high the more of those 2 colors the more lumens, but not necessarily the more par.
268357648_425849199217664_1886111895237584617_n_2048x2048.jpg

Again a blue led at 20 lumens may have 50 par where a white led at 2000 lumens may have 50 par.

THAT said 45% increase in lumens can usually translate as more par on a typical RGB(W) fixture.

Your "catch" in this is that IF you want end to end the best coverage you should go 120cm. A 90 cm with more output and raised to match the
coverage somewhat defeats the purpose of the more powerful light.

This is data for the RGBW I ( I believe)
but it shows plenty of par at their 60cm.
Thing to note is coverage AREA between a 120 and 90.
note how that lower par blue area would spread over the 120cm distance.
Gets a bit tricky since the heights are slightly different and it isn't stated from light to substrate or just "tank depth".
In other words 60cm including height above tank.. or not.
Anyways still would be a lot of PAR at 100%

chgihiroswrg.JPG

Now you could probably get away w/ the 90 and "I PERSONALLY" would want to raise it IF the 120 "PRO" was out of the question.
There seems to be plenty of PAR for your tank with either light.

WGRBII @ 120cm is "listed" as 130 Watts.
A bit confusing but it is supposed to be the "pro" version
Watts are 110.
Now watts isn't "par" nor "efficiency of diodes" but should be close assuming they source their diodes from one supplier.

Ok now their lumen #'s do show an increase from the II to pro
120II 7700 lumens
90 PRO 9250 lumens.

Now here is the catch.. that is lumens.
The lumen # of a blue led is very low but the par value is very high.
Since lumens weighs green-yellow high the more of those 2 colors the more lumens, but not necessarily the more par.
268357648_425849199217664_1886111895237584617_n_2048x2048.jpg

Again a blue led at 20 lumens may have 50 par where a white led at 2000 lumens may have 50 par.

THAT said 45% increase in lumens can usually translate as more par on a typical RGB(W) fixture.

Your "catch" in this is that IF you want end to end the best coverage you should go 120cm. A 90 cm with more output and raised to match the
coverage somewhat defeats the purpose of the more powerful light.

This is data for the RGBW I ( I believe)
but it shows plenty of par at their 60cm.
Thing to note is coverage AREA between a 120 and 90.
note how that lower par blue area would spread over the 120cm distance.
Gets a bit tricky since the heights are slightly different and it isn't stated from light to substrate or just "tank depth".
In other words 60cm including height above tank.. or not.
Anyways still would be a lot of PAR at 100%

View attachment 198868

Now you could probably get away w/ the 90 and "I PERSONALLY" would want to raise it IF the 120 "PRO" was out of the question.
There seems to be plenty of PAR for your tank with either light.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and suggestion.
Ya 120 "PRO" is out of budget for me. It is either 90 "PR0" or the 120 "wrgb II" model. Which are almost the same price.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and suggestion.
Ya 120 "PRO" is out of budget for me. It is either 90 "PR0" or the 120 "wrgb II" model. Which are almost the same price.
Your tank is 30" (75cm) wide?
Are you planning on tank mounts or hanging?

Neither are actually designed for such a wide tank, well few are.

Yes, it is 30 inches wide.
I was planning to mount it, but if hanging would give better spread I can try to install some brackets from the ceiling.

Yes, it is 30 inches wide.
I was planning to mount it, but if hanging would give better spread I can try to install some brackets from the ceiling.
Chihiros is pretty wide compared to other lights but 30" is pretty wide.
footprint of the 90 vs your tank dimensions (grey area approx)

chgihiroswrgB.JPG

I'm still thinking what "I'd" do..
Don't think you can go wrong with either

Thanks for this :)
Is this chart for 90 WRGBII or PRO model?
Will the footprint of PRO model be more as it as more lumens?

It is the first wrgb, "l" version.
Panels are probably the same.
Even if different it will probably be slightly.
It's just a rough estimate.
Not sure why the pro is that much higher
Could be newer diodes, could be driver mA increases or both or even more whites vs red/ blue diodes.
It gets messy and time consuming to try to find all the data.

The 120 will have to be lifted as well to cover 30" well.
I'm trying to guess if the lumen increase of the 90 trump's the lumens lost with the 120.

Your tank is a bit wider than mine, but 10cm deeper. For high tech you will need two strong units, 2x 90 cm wrgb2 should be fine. That's what I'm using,suspended 20cm above with reflectors.

Your tank is a bit wider than mine, but 10cm deeper. For high tech you will need two strong units, 2x 90 cm wrgb2 should be fine. That's what I'm using,suspended 20cm above with reflectors.
O/P didn't state what "level" he wants to run at or I missed it?
Since a 120 "pro" is out of their budget 2 90's would be as well.
But yea going old school like 40 lumens/liter his 150gal tank needs 22000 lumens for a "technical" high tech tank.

I will add that the old school Lum/liters may be based on t5's or the like.
LED delivery efficiency can decrease the " lumens needed" by between 1/2 and 3/4.
Historically LED photon delivery is just more efficient with less "lumen waste"

With proper placement and some luck in matching light pattern to tank 11000 lumens may at least get them to high light- "light". ;)
One can usually get effective high light growth with lower light and higher CO2.

Classic high light does need high CO2 and high nutrients.

O/P didn't state what "level" he wants to run at or I missed it?
Since a 120 "pro" is out of their budget 2 90's would be as well.
But yea going old school like 40 lumens/liter his 150gal tank needs 22000 lumens for a "technical" high tech tank.

I will add that the old school Lum/liters may be based on t5's or the like.
LED delivery efficiency can decrease the " lumens needed" by between 1/2 and 3/4.
Historically LED photon delivery is just more efficient with less "lumen waste"

With proper placement and some luck in matching light pattern to tank 11000 lumens may at least get them to high light- "light". ;)
One can usually get effective high light growth with lower light and higher CO2.

Classic high light does need high CO2 and high nutrients.
I'm not speculating here, I have these lights and this tank and just stating what works for high tech.

I'm not speculating here, I have these lights and this tank and just stating what works for high tech.
I wasn't implying that you were speculating though it fits the " speculation"
18500 lumens for a ??? Litre tank?
Dimmed?
Pretty sure you are in the 40 lumens/ liter range. :) Or the estimated 30 lumens/watt for LEDs.
Not my def of high light but accepted.
We are on the same page.

The lumen per watt rule of thumb - Aquascaping Wiki

84 lumens/watt btw.
I don't " enjoy" using lumens nor watts but if it is all one has...

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I am currently not planning go for very high tech setup. But want to have the flexibility to have one later. And ya I don't have the budget to go for 2 lights now, maybe later can buy the same light when I want to try out a hightech setup.
Still confused whether to go for 120 wrgb or 90 pro model. 120 makes most sense as it is the same length of my tank, but like mentioned earlier confused weather to go for 90 pro model to cover the depth (30") and if pro's more lumens will compensate for the length.

Back