• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cloverleaf blanket answer in nature pond?

alex_l

Hi all,

I've a new nature pond (about two months in, at a guess).

Blanketweed is causing problems.

I'm manually removing but then spending ages on my hands and knees removing newt tadpoles (and I hate to think I'm missing some).

Outcompeting isn't close to adequate yet: lilies and margins are doing well but none of the different oxygenators I've added have done much.

So I'm considering chemical treatment but I'm worried about the impact on inverts and amphibians.

No fish and unfiltered. Aiming for 50% lily coverage plus oxygenators when I can find the right thing that takes off!

It has to go... not just the aesthetics but it's outcompeting the plants.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Could you provide a picture? Could help with answers as potential causes could be spotted.

This is about 10 days ago.

It gets quite a lot of sun, hence I'm hoping more lily leaves will help.

895880ea03c6024addf2f91609f32676.jpg

Site... it's in sun most of the day. I've started planting shrubs behind...
8fa8fe806a00cad6940718ad1e94ea87.jpg

Top down view today... excuse blanketweed round edges!
8d6039a4301ae6ef245b46f8850f5922.jpg

I have had various ponds over the years, lost count of how many I have visited, and they all have one thing in common....................blanket weed.
Some folk will never have any for years, then poof, loads of it.

There is only one genuine cure that works 100% of the time, you can go online, look at various websites, YT channels everyone you see will tell you that "Their" idea/magic compound will rid your pond of blanket weed, some will even tell you to use barley straw because it's natural, none of them work every time, I have known people to spend quite a few £ on getting rid of it, and sometimes it works.............for a few weeks (But that is usually because they pulled all the dead stuff out and the new stuff has not grown yet.)

The truth is, that as every pond has different chemistry, there is no single cure all for blanket weed that is safe for fish. (You can get chemicals that will kill blanket weed, along with everything else in the pond)

Blanket weed is caused by too much sunlight and too many nutrients, which is why some suggest grow plants with large leaves, but that still means unwanted nutrients, so unless you have a pond indoors that never receives sunlight or rain water (You don't know what the rain has picked up on its way down, or collected as it washed you shed roof) the only solution to getting rid of blanket weed that works every time is a stick. Put it in and twirl it round like it was candyfloss.

Sorry if it is not the answer you wanted, but do, do your own research, everyone will say, buy this product, or buy that product, no two will suggest the same.

I used to get blanket weed until I got a couple of arum lilies, they grow fast enough to stop blanket weed from making an unsightly appearance
They can get large though

Pond looks really great and those plants look incredibly well established already! I’m expecting algae in mine sooner or later, was going to add a water butt or two to feed it rainwater but otherwise use the ‘stick’ method and wait for winter to kill it off. All the small lochs around here have algae so it seems kinda inevitable. Sounds like you have loads of wildlife, fabulous!

I have blanket weed in all my ponds bar one - the koi pond. There's a bit in there but the koi keep it in check. Not much good for a nature pond though, koi!
When we have a wet summer and I don't have to top up with the hose very much, I find it is mostly gone by midsummer as the plant growth shadows it out. This summer it's gone ballistic though as there have been multiple top offs with tap water and old aquarium water as it's been so dry.
In the end, I figure it's part of nature and a nature pond will find a balance in time, especially one your size. I sometimes pull bits out but otherwise leave it to do its thing.

Hi Alex
You could try adding....https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/pistia-stratiotes
These grow very quickly....even in aquariums!
I can send you some to get started.
I have some Bladder snails and Ramshorns...in my aquariums!
hoggie

Try pulling the ph down by using peat ,oak or beech leaves in net.I used old pair of stockings. You can the keep things slightly acid by judicious removal/ replacement. Obviously as few external inputs of nutrients as possible.

Watercress is my favourite way to tackle blanket weed in a natural pond.
You can try the supermarket variety but I have found the true wild stuff is far more vigorous and robust.
Just plant as much as you can, directly in the pond or even in pots, it grows very fast and needs to be removed in clumps every few weeks.

Hi Alex,

It looks from the photos that having more submerged plants in there would help. I know most understandably think along the lines of more floating leaved plants to cut down on the light - which is true, it will. But floating leaved plants are not as good as some submerged at competing with algae for nutrients. Ceratophyllum demersum is an excellent choice for this for most ponds and worth giving a go, as is the suggestion of watercress earlier in the thread . It is not just light that blanketweed needs, it is nutrients, and a bit of healthy competition for them will go a long way to keeping blanketweed in check.

Back